Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register

+  The Horror Drive-In
|-+  Horror Drive-In
| |-+  Drive In Theater By Night (Moderators: among736, RonClinton)
| | |-+  Barnes and Noble
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Barnes and Noble  (Read 5027 times)
Rich Gott
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2012, 11:17:40 AM »

Barnes and Noble has always been expensive for my tastes. Over the years I have purchased probably thousands of dollars worth of merchandise from them . . . but most of the time I've felt like I overpaid -- even before the internet.

My tastes have always run toward out of print books, anyway. I am far more concerned with all of the used bookstores I've noticed closing over the last decade. It used to be when one closed, another person would always be starting one up. Now when one closes it doesn't seem to get replaced. The small independent stores had a lot of characters, and I remember forging friendships in some of them.

The Austin-based book store chain, Half Price Books, is pretty good . . . but they often won't touch the strange little books I like. Half Price Books looks too closely at what they think they can turn over quickly (Imagine that -- they run it like a business!)

I always liked the small bookstore owners, where the owner couldn't resist obtaining a run of books (maybe Guy N. Smith or John Farris) just because they looked cool. Half Price Books isn't so interested if they think it might sit on the shelf for a year or two.
Kyle L.
Cthulhus Lover
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2012, 01:19:05 PM »

I didn't read through all the responses, but I just wanted to put in my two cents.

I live just outside of Seattle, WA.  There used to be a Borders nearby (holy shit, they actually had a Horror section by god), but since they went under, I literally have the choices of a Barnes and Noble (which has about as much horror choices as a childrens toy shop), and a few used book stores (which I have found most of my paperback horror collection from). 

Now having said that, as much as I love supporting my local used book stores, they just don't carry newer items as much as I want because I'm a voracious reader, so I have turned about 90% to Amazon, because I'm sorry, but they have everything you could want.  Do I feel bad about this?  Nope.  Do I think they've done a great job, yep.  I feel they have done fantastically well with their little empire, and so long as I can still get things for a good price, I could care less.  Let the big stores go out of business, let the used book stores/mom and pop stores keep going, and let Amazon have their market share.  In my neck of the woods, the only one hurting is B&N, and for good reason.  No sales, a pay to get 10% discount membership, and not stocking but maybe 5% of what I buy.  I mean shit, QFC (grocery store in case these guys aren't nation wide) has better sales than my B&N on new HC releases for fuck sake...

https://kylelybeck.wordpress.com
Nightmare Reality and Perverse Humanity both out now on Amazon!  http://amzn.to/2pW0TML
emont
Horror Fan/Horror Student
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2012, 06:51:55 PM »

I may sound a little conceited, but I think I know my way around bookstores better than the employees do. As far as selection is concerned, it's hard to find all the horror that I want since most people where I live know dick about it; no demand, no supply. I still shop at Barnes and Noble because I still think its fun and I want bookstores to still exist. Without them, where would I go when I want to get out of the house?

I also want bookstores to keep existing because they still manage to surprise me. I end up finding something in print that I didn't know was released. That and the magazines. No grocery store is going to sell Famous Monsters of Filmland or Horrorhound, but B&N does. Bookstores are among the few places of commerce that I go for fun; although I liked Borders much more, I'll settle for B&N since that's all that's left. 
BrianKeene
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2012, 03:50:49 PM »

My Opinion:

It isn't important where readers buy their books.

What is important is that readers keep buying books.

I don't have a horse in the B&N - Amazon - Mom and Pop race. I don't think the ultimate outcome of this will impact authors and their livelihoods nearly as much as digital piracy and the predominance of Kindle "FREE" and "99 CENT" books will. We are training an entire generation of readers and consumers to expect the book for free, or next to nothing. I can't feed my sons on free or next to nothing.

That being said, I do think it's ridiculous that mainstream publishing price e-books the same as the trade or mass market editions. That's silly.

I like Deadite's method, in which the e-book costs about half of what the printed book costs. The reader gets a discount, the publisher still makes a profit, and at the end of the day, my kids still eat.

As I said, my opinion. I respect the differing opinions of others.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 04:23:32 PM by BrianKeene » Logged
Robert Essig
Four Movie Freak

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2012, 04:11:22 PM »

My beef with B&N is that they don't have a specific horror section.  That could be the reason for their poor selection. 

There's a pretty cool used bookstore near by.  Two ladies that work their LOVE Jack Ketchum.  You'd never suspect it.  They look like bingo enthusiasts.

IN BLACK
markgunnells
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2012, 06:04:46 PM »

My beef with B&N is that they don't have a specific horror section.  That could be the reason for their poor selection. 

There's a pretty cool used bookstore near by.  Two ladies that work their LOVE Jack Ketchum.  You'd never suspect it.  They look like bingo enthusiasts.

I believe some b&n stores may still have a horror section.  The one near me used to, and man they had some awesome stuff back then.  Then they got rid of it, blended it in with regular fiction, and all the variety disappeared.
Robert Essig
Four Movie Freak

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2012, 09:03:57 PM »

I believe some b&n stores may still have a horror section.  The one near me used to, and man they had some awesome stuff back then.  Then they got rid of it, blended it in with regular fiction, and all the variety disappeared.

It's been about ten years since my local B&N had a horror section.  They had quite a selection back then.  I also liked that I could scan the authors and note familiar names that get lost in the general "literature" section they have now.  I only go in there for something specific these days.  And I do find that they don't alwayds have the titles or authors I'm looking for.

IN BLACK
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length