Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register

+  The Horror Drive-In
|-+  Horror Drive-In
| |-+  Drive In Theater By Night (Moderators: among736, RonClinton)
| | |-+  The All-New Reading, Watching, and Listening Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 235 Print
Author Topic: The All-New Reading, Watching, and Listening Thread  (Read 195362 times)
LincolnB
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2013, 10:38:31 PM »

Finished reading 'Swan Song' last night - 4 out of 5.
About to start 'Raven', by Charles L Grant.

Watched 'Deranged' yesterday - fantastic, forgotten, little 70's film based on the Ed Gein story. A great bluray package from Arrow Video (region B). Highly recommended.
among736
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2013, 08:03:05 AM »

Raven's a good one.  Hope you enjoy it!

Reading: Just finished TURN DOWN THE LIGHTS, which was hugely disappointing for me.  Still reading SPEAKS THE NIGHTBIRD by Robert McCammon (which is awesome) and HONORABLE WHOREDOM AT A PENNY A WORD by Harlan Ellison (also awesome).

Watching: Season 1 of BREAKING BAD

Listening: To the incessant replay of Christmas songs that I haven't been able to get out of my head yet.

Andy
MisterCrowley
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 08:16:47 AM »

Just not very good andy (turn down the lights?)
among736
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2013, 08:33:30 AM »

With the exception of the stories by King and Gorman, none of the others did anything for me.  The book left me very, very underwhelmed.  It's a bummer, because the list of authors is fantastic and I was pretty damned excited to read it.

Andy
among736
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2013, 08:35:20 AM »

That being said, other reviewers (including Publisher's Weekly) love it.....so what do I know?!   Roll Eyes

Andy
JasonUK
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2013, 09:44:12 AM »

Reading: Sarah Pinborough - Mayhem

Watching: The Borgias - Season 2

Listening: Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin' Outtakes

RonClinton
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2013, 10:57:59 AM »

With the exception of the stories by King and Gorman, none of the others did anything for me.  The book left me very, very underwhelmed.  It's a bummer, because the list of authors is fantastic and I was pretty damned excited to read it.

Andy

Hmm, well, you may have saved me some money on this one.  Not ready to take it off my Amazon Wish List yet, but you've got me thinking...  I've just had about it up to here with anthos with only a few good stories...reminds me of the record albums I used to buy when I was a kid -- a few good hits and the rest 'meh' at best.
Kyle L.
Cthulhus Lover
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2013, 11:45:53 AM »

Finished : Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (I see same ideas and similarities in many previous novels I've read, so this fell flat for me and by no means had any amazing factor.  If I had never read crime fiction before, then it probably would have been amazing.  She's like the PG-13 version of Karin Slaughter in my mind after reading this one.)

Started : Doctor Sleep by Stephen King (almost halfway through since yesterday, loving it way more than The Shining)

Finishing out the year : an editing project

Watching : caught up on Deadliest Catch; into season 4 of The Walking Dead finally; catching up on the Michael J. Fox show

Listening : the dogs run around downstairs while I take a break upstairs

kylelybeck.wordpress.com
Nightmare Reality and Perverse Humanity both out now on Amazon!
Solow
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2013, 12:06:39 PM »

Reading: The Collected Tales of the Baja Express by our very own Gene O'Neill.

Many thanks to Brian Keene for pointing me in this direction all those years ago.

And thanks to Gene for writing it.
Adam James
Dead By Dawn

Thinks penguins are great pilots

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2013, 12:12:48 PM »

Finished : Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (I see same ideas and similarities in many previous novels I've read, so this fell flat for me and by no means had any amazing factor.  If I had never read crime fiction before, then it probably would have been amazing.  She's like the PG-13 version of Karin Slaughter in my mind after reading this one.)

Started : Doctor Sleep by Stephen King (almost halfway through since yesterday, loving it way more than The Shining)

I'm starting to think there's something wrong with you. The Shining is a far superior novel than Doctor Sleep. And Flynn blows Slaughter out of the water. Sheesh, kids these days.
Kyle L.
Cthulhus Lover
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2013, 12:42:17 PM »

The Shining was overly wordy, drawn out, and bored me.  Flynn doesn't leave me wanting more.  It was a good tale, but one that hasn't been told before.  Cheating husband, crazy wife, nothing new.  Slaughter has shock factor and blistering pace in her storytelling that keeps me wanting more.  To each their own I suppose.

kylelybeck.wordpress.com
Nightmare Reality and Perverse Humanity both out now on Amazon!
Adam James
Dead By Dawn

Thinks penguins are great pilots

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2013, 01:00:56 PM »

Yeah, I do prefer good writing over plot points. Wink
Fanatic
Triple Feature

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2013, 01:11:30 PM »

With the exception of the stories by King and Gorman, none of the others did anything for me.  The book left me very, very underwhelmed.  It's a bummer, because the list of authors is fantastic and I was pretty damned excited to read it.

Andy

Those are the only two I thought were good also!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 01:13:47 PM by Fanatic » Logged
Fanatic
Triple Feature

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2013, 01:14:21 PM »

Reading: The Collected Tales of the Baja Express by our very own Gene O'Neill.

Many thanks to Brian Keene for pointing me in this direction all those years ago.

And thanks to Gene for writing it.

Great collection!
MisterCrowley
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2013, 01:47:13 PM »

I'm starting to think there's something wrong with you. The Shining is a far superior novel than Doctor Sleep. And Flynn blows Slaughter out of the water. Sheesh, kids these days.

I agree with you buddy. The Shining is wonderful. I loved Dr. Sleep but it's not in the same league as The Shining
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 235 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length