Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register

+  The Horror Drive-In
|-+  Horror Drive-In
| |-+  Drive In Theater By Night (Moderators: among736, RonClinton)
| | |-+  The All-New Reading, Watching, and Listening Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 264 Print
Author Topic: The All-New Reading, Watching, and Listening Thread  (Read 260358 times)
dannyboy121070
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3480 on: March 12, 2017, 02:44:26 PM »

Watched Logan tonight, I saw a blurb somewhere for this film that said "Unforgiven, but with claws", I'm paraphrasing. But, Logan is every bit as good as Unforgiven and No Country For Old Men.
Not just a great superhero movie, it's a great movie.

I really, really, REALLY wish I enjoyed it as much as you.

njhorror
Love Bomb
Dead By Dawn

Dark Shadow

View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: March 13, 2017, 08:05:44 AM »

FINISHED: They Don't Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
I enjoyed it, but I felt that it missed the mark. It probably would have been better fleshed out to a full sized novel. In fact, I could easily see it as the prologue to a much longer series of YA "gal/buddy" stories. The relationship between Hettie, and her "girl crush", Avery, doesn't really start to form, except in Hettie's mind, until the very end of the book. Avery is not who Hettie thinks she is, but that doesn't seem to matter in the long run. I was never quite sure where I stood while reading this book, because it defies categorization. It was easy to identify with the teenage angst presented, but at times it came off as an unrealistic reason for the alienation exhibited by the main characters. Hettie is a sincere and sympathetic character and her isolation came off as genuine. She voluntarily goes through a honing of her sharper edges and comes out a more confident and changed individual. There's plenty of room to reincarnate some of the antagonists from this story into a future series.

Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses?
njhorror
Love Bomb
Dead By Dawn

Dark Shadow

View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: March 13, 2017, 08:26:10 AM »

READING: HEX by Thomas Olde Heuvelt

Started it the other day, and I'm not a big fan of the kooky circumstances presented in what I've read, so far. If it doesn't get more focused and to the point soon - I'm bailing.

RonClinton
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: March 13, 2017, 09:32:59 AM »

READING: HEX by Thomas Olde Heuvelt

Started it the other day, and I'm not a big fan of the kooky circumstances presented in what I've read, so far. If it doesn't get more focused and to the point soon - I'm bailing.

Bail now...I thought it started strong and eerie and went downhill from there. So if you thought the start was weak, trust me, it does not get better.
njhorror
Love Bomb
Dead By Dawn

Dark Shadow

View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: March 13, 2017, 09:41:25 AM »

Actually, I think the start is stupid. It jumps from one unexplained stupid phenomena to another unexplained stupid phenomena.

plus I'm too cheap to bail so soon. I paid good American dollars for this thing!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 11:17:37 AM by njhorror » Logged

Argendeli
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #3485 on: March 13, 2017, 11:54:59 AM »

Count me in the group that enjoyed HEX.  I had some problems with it but overall I liked the myth Heuvelt created.

Currently reading LITTLE HEAVEN by Nick Cutter.  Really enjoying this one so far.

Jim
Adam James
Dead By Dawn

Thinks penguins are great pilots

View Profile Email
« Reply #3486 on: March 13, 2017, 12:21:54 PM »

Yep, enjoyed Hex.

We Don't Come Home Anymore, the fact that Hettie misinterpreted everything about Avery was the point of the story.
Spoilers:
The fact that she gives everlasting life to someone who committed or tried to commit suicide makes the story. It's supposed to be black humor/dark tragedy. That's how I saw it anyway.
njhorror
Love Bomb
Dead By Dawn

Dark Shadow

View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: March 13, 2017, 01:05:27 PM »

Thanks, Adam. That makes a lot of sense. That thought crossed my mind, but I was looking for a bigger payoff.

markgunnells
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #3488 on: March 14, 2017, 03:41:57 AM »

Finished Norse Mythology by Gaiman. Great book. I was unfamiliar with these legends, and his writing was accessible and entertaining. I really enjoyed the book.
markgunnells
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #3489 on: March 14, 2017, 02:29:57 PM »

Started Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan. Came out about five years ago but just getting to it. So far very intriguing.
Sigrud
Triple Feature

View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: March 14, 2017, 04:00:36 PM »

Finished reading Re Equinox from Douglas Wynne. Not very good. I'll leave it at that
RonClinton
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: March 15, 2017, 07:43:27 AM »

Finished Lansdale's COCO BUTTERNUT (a Hap & Leonard novella) a few nights ago...6/10.  Not my favorite Lansdale novella by a long shot.  It was okay, but lacked that Lansdalian spark that makes many of his works quite special.  Now reading his HONKY TONK SAMAURAI -- a Hap & Leonard novel -- and while I'm enjoying it, I am finding unexpectedly that the once generally pleasing country-causual-trying-too-hard-to-be-funny voice of these novels is grating on my nerves a bit...not sure why, maybe COCO tained the waters too much for me to start another Hap and Leonard work back-to-back with it...then again, a lot of things are getting on my nerves lately, so perhaps I shouldn't blame the book.  

goathunter
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #3492 on: March 15, 2017, 10:37:51 AM »

[...] I am finding unexpectedly that the once generally pleasing country-causual-trying-too-hard-to-be-funny voice of these novels is grating on my nerves a bit...

I found that to be true of the last several of Joe's books I read. I haven't felt the need to read his most recent books.

Hunter
dannyboy121070
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3493 on: March 15, 2017, 12:04:11 PM »

I'm of a mind that you shouldn't read too many books by the same author back-to-back.....I made it through an F. Paul Wilson Repairman Jack marathon about a decade back unscathed, but then I read a whole slew of Stephen King books in a row (FROM A BUICK 8, MILE 81, UR, DREAMCATCHER, the last three DARK TOWER books, the one he wrote to tie in with the Amazon Kindle, a few others...), and by the time I was done, I was ready to chase King down and bop him on the head. The verbal tics that he repeats again and again, the unfunny puns, the New England-isms.....things you barely notice reading one book, but really pile up after a few in a row. The language tics, and the shitty DT books, combined to really put me off of King.

Having read a sizeable amount of Lansdale, my feeling is that a little goes a long way. I recently read DEAD ON THE BONES: PULP ON FIRE, and by the time I finished it, I was OK with not reading any more Lansdale for a year or so. I appreciate the smart-alecky southern banter as much as the next guy, but not EVERY character needs to talk like that in EVERY....SINGLE....STORY.

RonClinton
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #3494 on: March 15, 2017, 04:44:31 PM »

I appreciate the smart-alecky southern banter as much as the next guy, but not EVERY character needs to talk like that in EVERY....SINGLE....STORY.

Indeed. If it were not for speech tags, I'm not sure I could keep the characters straight, given that they all tend to speak in the same dialect, wit, and manner.  That's not a good thing, and while it's rather innocuous and manageable when reading just one novel, it is something that becomes very apparent and irritating when you start reading these Lansdale -- or, at least, his Hap and Leonard books -- works back to back.
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 264 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length