Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register

+  The Horror Drive-In
|-+  Horror Drive-In
| |-+  Drive In Theater By Night (Moderators: among736, RonClinton)
| | |-+  The All-New Reading, Watching, and Listening Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 Print
Author Topic: The All-New Reading, Watching, and Listening Thread  (Read 195364 times)
Sigrud
Triple Feature

View Profile
« Reply #3495 on: March 15, 2017, 08:33:43 PM »

About 30 pages into Haven by Tom Deady. I'm hooked. Loving it
RonClinton
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: March 16, 2017, 10:45:03 AM »

Finished Lansdale's COCO BUTTERNUT (a Hap & Leonard novella) a few nights ago...6/10.  Not my favorite Lansdale novella by a long shot.  It was okay, but lacked that Lansdalian spark that makes many of his works quite special.  Now reading his HONKY TONK SAMAURAI -- a Hap & Leonard novel -- and while I'm enjoying it, I am finding unexpectedly that the once generally pleasing country-causual-trying-too-hard-to-be-funny voice of these novels is grating on my nerves a bit...not sure why, maybe COCO tained the waters too much for me to start another Hap and Leonard work back-to-back with it...then again, a lot of things are getting on my nerves lately, so perhaps I shouldn't blame the book.  

Gave HONKY TONK SAMAURAI a break, and instead picked up THE IMPOSSIBLE FORTRESS...needed something fresh and new, something different, and this one -- as per the thread on it -- seemed to fit the bill nicely.  And does it ever:  I read a third of it last night, and am loving every second of this wonderful work.  The year is young, certainly, but so far this is the best book of the year for me.
goathunter
Four Movie Freak

View Profile Email
« Reply #3497 on: March 16, 2017, 11:07:16 AM »

I appreciate the smart-alecky southern banter as much as the next guy, but not EVERY character needs to talk like that in EVERY....SINGLE....STORY.

I didn't notice that in the earlier Lansdale novels, but I certainly have in the recent ones, which is why I stopped.

Hunter
markgunnells
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #3498 on: March 19, 2017, 10:41:21 AM »

Been watching a lot of Mystery Science Theater the last couple of days. I had forgotten just how much I loved that show. I've been laughing out loud A LOT.
MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: March 19, 2017, 10:55:10 AM »

I appreciate the smart-alecky southern banter as much as the next guy, but not EVERY character needs to talk like that in EVERY....SINGLE....STORY.

I didn't notice that in the earlier Lansdale novels, but I certainly have in the recent ones, which is why I stopped.

Hunter

It bothered me in some of the stuff, but I did like Honky Tonk Samurai a lot. I do miss straightforward suspense stories like Cold In July though. I liked Rusty Puppy quite a bit, too, even if I felt that it all ended up a bit too cleanly, nicely, and easily. Or maybe it's just a bit of Hap and Leonard burnout.
dannyboy121070
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3500 on: March 19, 2017, 11:04:38 AM »

About to tempt the fiction slump again, and start Adam Nevill's SOME WILL NOT SLEEP. Hope it does the trick.

among736
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #3501 on: March 19, 2017, 01:50:14 PM »

R:  Finished Mister Slaughter last night (excellent installment in the Corbett series, although I liked Queen of Bedlam a little better) and jumped right into Steve Savile's Parallel Lines.

W: Just finished S1 of Showtime's Ray Donovan, and immediately started S2.

Andy
njhorror
Love Bomb
Dead By Dawn

Dark Shadow

View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: March 20, 2017, 07:19:13 AM »

READING: A Pilgrim Stranger by Mark Samuels

Very interesting and at points hilarious, so far.

Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses?
jimallcorn
Triple Feature

View Profile Email
« Reply #3503 on: March 21, 2017, 11:48:30 AM »

About 30 pages into Haven by Tom Deady. I'm hooked. Loving it

Apparently, I'm the only one here who had a  hard time getting into this one.
I got about a quarter of the way through it & had to put it aside.
I don't know exactly why it failed to grab me, but it did. Maybe I'll pick it up sometime down the line & finish it & wonder how the hell I could have ever been bored by it. It's happened quite a few times before, most notably with one of my favorite novels of all time.
When I originally began to read Dan Simmon's SUMMER OF NIGHT several years ago I only got a few chapters into it before setting it aside. But, then, when I picked it up a few years later I was immediately gripped & wound up loving it. So, while I sort of doubt it, I may one day pick up Deady's novel & fall in love with it. It's not out of the realm of possibility.
jimallcorn
Triple Feature

View Profile Email
« Reply #3504 on: March 21, 2017, 12:16:12 PM »

Reading: Actually, I'm rereading my pal James Newman's THE WICKED now. I'd read it a few years back when it was first released & enjoyed it, but at the time I was going through my separation from my wife which was a rough period for me & I don't think I enjoyed it as much as I could have. Since then, I've become FB friends with Jimbo, so I feel like I need to give it another go while being in a much better frame of mind.
And yes, I'm having a much better time with it this time around. So much so that I want to strongly suggest to anyone that hasn't read it yet to do so asap. James has a new publisher now & they just recently rereleased it. For those with a Kindle this new version is just $3.99.

Watching: I'm actually catching up on the last couple of episodes of GENERAL HOSPITAL.
Yeah, I watch a soap opera. I've been a fan since it's early '80s heyday when I was in college & seemingly everyone was watching it. Including my mom who was a huge fan.
I stopped watching for a long stretch of time in the latter half of the '80s & throughout the '90s, but every time I dropped in to visit my mom on weekday afternoons she was watching it. So, after she passed in '99 I sought out something that would continue my connection with her & that was GH. So, all these years later I still watch.
It may seem silly to some, but it's worth it to me to devote five hours a week to it.

Listening: Nothing at the moment. Just waiting a bit impatiently for my favorite band's fifth album to be released.
Sigrud
Triple Feature

View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: March 21, 2017, 02:56:33 PM »

Finished watching Iron Fist Season 1. Very enjoyable. Not as good as DD or Luke Cage but better than Jessica Jones?
Adam James
Dead By Dawn

Thinks penguins are great pilots

View Profile Email
« Reply #3506 on: March 21, 2017, 07:15:54 PM »

I thought Iron Fist was better than Luke Cage (man the last half of the season was real let down for me.), and Jessica Jones was my least favorite of the lot.
Sigrud
Triple Feature

View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: March 22, 2017, 09:41:27 PM »

I didn't have an issue with any of Luke Cage. It was almost as good as Daredevil in my opinion. My favorite part of IF was Ward and Colleen.
RonClinton
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: March 23, 2017, 07:26:37 AM »

R:  In my continued drive, following THE IMPOSSIBLE FORTRESS, to read something a bit on the lighter side, I've started the below...still on the horror side of things, I suppose, but it's also supposed to have a good bit of humor:

Came recommended by several here, including Kealan, so am hopeful it'll be a good one.
markgunnells
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #3509 on: March 26, 2017, 06:31:30 AM »

I finished reading The Man Called Noon by Louis L'Amour. A good read, outside my normal wheelhouse but that's why I chose it. My only issue was that the ending felt very rushed. I got worried when I arrived at the final chapter and there was still SO much unresolved, I couldn't figure out how it could all be wrapped up in one chapter. And the answer was by rushing through it. After the build-up, it left me feeling vaguely unsatisfied.

I'm 3/4 through Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan, and that one is really impressing me. A great character study of extreme circumstances and how quickly civility can be discarded, what people are capable of in life or death situations.

I also started Dean Koontz's 77 Shadow Street. I gave up on him a long time ago, but this one looked appealing and it was 2 dollars at a used bookshop, so I am giving it a shot. So far I think the writing is strong and the story compelling, so I'm going in with an open mind.
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length