Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register

+  The Horror Drive-In
|-+  Horror Drive-In
| |-+  Drive In Theater By Night (Moderators: among736, RonClinton)
| | |-+  The All-New Reading, Watching, and Listening Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 264 Print
Author Topic: The All-New Reading, Watching, and Listening Thread  (Read 259571 times)
MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #3750 on: July 13, 2017, 03:00:40 PM »

Wow, I loved Freedom of the Mask. It's probably my favorite since Queen of Bedlam. Poor Matthew does go through hell in it, though.
MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #3751 on: July 13, 2017, 04:11:36 PM »

Reading: Borderlands 6

Watching: Nothing

Listening: the Moon-Rays, The Ghouls Go West and NIN Ghosts
dannyboy121070
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3752 on: July 15, 2017, 04:47:09 PM »

Reading: Still wading through the massive THE FANTASTIC FOUR BY JOHN BYRNE OMNIBUS, VOL. 1, almost through with an ARC of DARK SCREAMS, VOLUME 7, and I'm chipping away at 30 YEARS OF WRESTLEMANIA, which is sending me to my happy place whenever I crack it open.

Watching: We just saw WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES, which I reviewed on my blog, and it was very disappointing.

Listening to: The score from UNBREAKABLE while I read the FF Omnibus. That, and the ominous sounds of my wife and kids outside my study playing with a neighbor's puppy, which is sure to start another round of "You're a horrible human being for not letting us get a puppy!" nagging.......

Sigrud
Triple Feature

View Profile
« Reply #3753 on: July 18, 2017, 08:25:07 AM »

Finished reading Cold Moon Over Babylon. Didn't really care for it. Very by the numbers and boring.

Now reading The Dark Net by Benjamin Percy. Very promising so far
JeffStrand
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #3754 on: July 18, 2017, 09:00:21 AM »

Still wading through the massive THE FANTASTIC FOUR BY JOHN BYRNE OMNIBUS, VOL. 1

I haven't collected comics in 25 years, but when I did, Byrne's run on THE FANTASTIC FOUR was my favorite superhero comic.
among736
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #3755 on: July 18, 2017, 09:33:53 AM »

Reading: Putting the finishing touches on Double by Pronzini and Muller.

Watching: The first episode of the new season of Game of Thrones (which was a *fantastic* opening salvo) and now back to the last few episodes of S2 of Versailles.

Listening:  About to start Darktown by Thomas Mullen (police procedural/thriller about the first two black police officers in an Atlanta station, and the case they get embroiled in during a time when race relations were at an all-time high).

Andy
njhorror
Love Bomb
Dead By Dawn

Dark Shadow

View Profile
« Reply #3756 on: July 18, 2017, 10:25:34 AM »

Listened:  THE PIT by Joe R. Lansdale on Pseudopod

I remember the day that I went into Borders Books looking for some Arkham House hardcovers. I saw this book cover by Joe R. Lansdale and it was called HIGH COTTON. The price was way more than the Arkham House collections, but I thought I'd just sneak a peek for future reference. The story that I intended to skim was THE PIT. I sat down and began to read... On my way back to work with the Lansdale collection occupying its own seat next to me I regarded the $23.95 purchase price as a bargain.

THE PIT could be the most brutal story that I've ever read. Brutal on so many levels.

I could easily substitute savage for brutal.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 07:34:40 AM by njhorror » Logged

Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses?
RonClinton
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #3757 on: July 18, 2017, 11:58:41 AM »

"The Pit" is outstanding.  I know exactly the story you're talking about and could describe its totality reasonably well to someone.  For someone like me who reads as much as I do but has a pitted memory that forgets 99% of it shortly after reading it, to remember a short story a couple (?) decades after reading it (think I first read it in the seminal collection BY BIZARRE HANDS), that indicates to me that it's a special tale indeed.  There are several other stories like that in BY BIZARRE HANDS...the only other collections I can think of with that type of memorabilty (is that word?) for me is King's NIGHT SHIFT and McCammon's BLUE WORLD, and I suppose a Bradbury and Gorman collection or two.  But they're definitely few and far between.
Argendeli
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #3758 on: July 18, 2017, 12:16:23 PM »

Reading FINAL GIRLS by Riley Sager
Watching not that much though I did watch JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 2.
Listening:  NO THANKS:  The 70'S PUNK REBELLION

Here is a link to the CNN review I wrote for HIGH COTTON:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/books/05/10/bumper.crop/

Jim

DavidMWilson
Four Movie Freak

View Profile Email
« Reply #3759 on: July 18, 2017, 08:52:02 PM »

I'm reading: The Tommyknockers by Stephen King and Black Evening by David Morrell, which is a great short story collection. I tried to read Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz because I watched the film version with Anton Yelchin, but I put the book down by page 50. Not for me. That's about the second time I've tried to read it.

Watching: I finished Falling Skies recently, and I also finished Jericho, both post-apocalyptic TV shows. They were great. I'm also watching Big Brother thanks to my wife. I won't note how I feel about that. lol.

Listening: On Writing, by Stephen King. I always listen to this book and 'Bag of Bones' by King about once a year. I'm also listening to a mix of Mogwai.
MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #3760 on: July 19, 2017, 03:05:52 AM »

I hated Odd Thomas. One night I tried to read it while iced in a town I was stranded in. I bought a copy from the gift shop.

Black Evening, on the other hand, is one of my favorite collections. In fact, I very recently read both Mumbo Jumbo and Black and White and Red All Over aloud to Clara.
pinheadspawn
Triple Feature

View Profile Email
« Reply #3761 on: July 19, 2017, 05:45:05 AM »

I feel the same way about short stories:  I've read so many that it's really difficult for any to stick out.  For me, the the ones that immediately spring to mind are:

The Night They Missed the Horror Show by Lansdale
The Box by Ketchum
Haceldama by Braunbeck
Consolation by Braunbeck
Returns by Ketchum

Jason
njhorror
Love Bomb
Dead By Dawn

Dark Shadow

View Profile
« Reply #3762 on: July 19, 2017, 07:33:38 AM »

I wish Braunbeck would write more.

Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses?
DavidMWilson
Four Movie Freak

View Profile Email
« Reply #3763 on: July 19, 2017, 09:19:17 AM »

I hated Odd Thomas. One night I tried to read it while iced in a town I was stranded in. I bought a copy from the gift shop.

Black Evening, on the other hand, is one of my favorite collections. In fact, I very recently read both Mumbo Jumbo and Black and White and Red All Over aloud to Clara.

Yeah, Odd Thomas. The premise is interesting. I just can't get into a Koontz book that isn't old. Icebound is my favorite novel by Koontz that I've read so far. In that book, his writing is better. Odd drove me batshit.

Black Evening is great! Which leads me to ...

I feel the same way about short stories:  I've read so many that it's really difficult for any to stick out.  For me, the the ones that immediately spring to mind are:

The Night They Missed the Horror Show by Lansdale
The Box by Ketchum
Haceldama by Braunbeck
Consolation by Braunbeck
Returns by Ketchum

Jason

So far, the Morrell stories that have stuck out for me are The Dripping, but especially Black Evening. Black Evening I read in a Grant Anthology (which you guys on HD-I recommended and thank you for doing so!), and it stuck out to me when I read it. I'm with you on Ketchum. Love his work. I have not read Braunbeck. What's his stuff like? (Lansdale is great, btw, thanks goes to mark for introducing that into my world).
RonClinton
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #3764 on: July 19, 2017, 09:26:59 AM »

I have not read Braunbeck. What's his stuff like?

Braunbeck's work is all about emotion, about characters that run the gamut of personal and familial trauma and the way horrors from within and without play and amplify that emotive baggage.  Really good stuff, a shame he hasn't written much in the last good number of years (that I'm aware of, anyhow)...I understand he had/has some medical issues that makes sitting and writing difficult.  Not sure if that's still the case now or not.

THINGS LEFT BEHIND from CD is a great place to start.  It used to be one helluva pricey S/L collection, but like 99.9% of S/Ls, its price has fallen and bottomed out of late...here's a copy for cover price or less:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Things-Left-Behind-by-Gary-A-Braunbeck-1997-Hardcover-Autographed-Limited-/391751965622?epid=1092962&hash=item5b363c9bb6:g:~boAAOSwU8hY7T80
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 264 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length