Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register

+  The Horror Drive-In
|-+  Horror Drive-In
| |-+  Custom Car Show (Moderators: RonClinton, MarkSieber)
| | |-+  Mark Sieber's Vinyl Record Victories
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Mark Sieber's Vinyl Record Victories  (Read 3888 times)
jimallcorn
Triple Feature

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2016, 01:23:19 AM »

Like thousands of other red-blooded monster kids, I drooled over ads for this record in pages of Famous Monsters of Filmland. I could never afford it, and I dreamed that it was the coolest thing ever put to vinyl.

One day I got it. I paid a few bucks, but not a lot. I finally was able to listen to these two classic monsters tell their tales. It isn't bad. Kind of cool, but really nothing to special. Fun, though.

Definitely a cool but for old(ish. LOL ) Monster Kids like us.
I began to covet this as soon as I got my first copies of FAMOUS MONSTERS at about six years old. I can still remember my mom buying me my first issue from a local "mom & pop" store that was about a mile from my childhood home. Then, not too long after that, my mom's younger brother, my uncle Lance, gave me a whole stack of FM, a couple of issues of SPACEMEN & a SCREEN THRILLS ILLUSTRATED before he left for college.
There were probably only about 15 or 20 magazines total, but to me, it seemed like a positively massive haul at the time!
Anyhow, it was in the back pages of those wonderful old Warren publications that I saw the ads for this record album & I practically salivated over it, but never did find a copy of it in any store. And since I was too young to get into the mail order thing, I never got a copy.
I still very much wanted it as I grew older & began to order things through the mail starting when I was about ten. But, by that point, I was more interested in ordering back issue & I'd begun seriously collecting comics at the time too, plus the Mego action figures came out & I just never got around to purchasing this album.
Well, flash forward to 2010 when I was browsing through e-bay one day & there it was. A picture of a beautiful copy was staring out of my laptop screen at me & all of a sudden I felt that old longing for it all over again. And I knew I had to have it. But, in that instant between instantly recognizing it, feeling that old intense desire to have it & looking at the price, I was certain that it was likely going to put a dent in my wallet. As my eyes moved over the ad to take in the price, I figured that it was going to be somewhere between $50-$100, easy.
Imagine my surprise (relief!) when I saw that it said eleven bucks!
Right away, I assumed that that was a "starting bid" price, but nope. It was $11.00 "buy it now.
Needless to say, I did "buy it now" & about a week later it arrived in the mail & after four decades plus, it was finally mine.
MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2016, 03:09:19 PM »

I need to start being a lot more active here.

I just received this posthumous release from Frank Zappa. It's a lovely edition and the odd title is from the cover art. Frank saw the painting and bought it for this purpose. Too bad the album didn't come out until well after his untimely death.

This one is not for the casual listener. Those expecting Don't Eat The Yellow Snow, Dinah Moe Hum, or Joe's Garage will be sorely disappointed. This record is all spontaneous compositions that Frank did on the synclavier. Much as he did on the Jazz From Hell release, and parts of Frank Zappa Meets the Mothers of Prevention.

Late in his musical career, FZ became obsessed with the synclavier, which he utilized to create music that even the best musicians he could find were unable to perform. It may sound like chaos or random sounds to many, but Frank's heart lie with avant-garde, atonal composers like Edgard Varèse.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 03:22:17 PM by MarkSieber » Logged
MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2016, 10:18:48 AM »

I'm back! I plan to use this board and thread a lot more now.

I found these records at a church sale, at the mere price of fifty cents each.

Doug Clark and the Hot Nuts were the inspiration for Otis Day & the Knights, from Animal House. They were a raunchy R&B/Rock and Roll party band that played up and down the east coast. Their heyday was the early 1960's, and they mostly performed at frat parties. Doug Clark died in 2002, but the band continued to play class reunion shows up until a couple of year ago. Now Doug Clark and the Hot Nuts are another wonderful American institution that has been devoured by the sands of time.
MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2017, 05:13:04 PM »

I just found a 45 of Leonard Nimoy reading a Ray Bradbury story from The Martian Chronicles. So many great nuggets from the past to be rediscovered.

LauraLong
Four Movie Freak

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2017, 09:03:18 AM »

I had Gitarzan on 45. I seemed to gravitate towards "story songs." I guess every song tells some kind of story, but there were some songs that really had a beginning, middle, and end. I had a copy of "Poke Salad Annie," and "Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves." Aw, now I'm gonna hear Cher's weird mouth phrasing all day. See what you've done?

Along with a stash of comics, I also had a copy of "Monster Mash", and "Dead Man's Curve," and "DOA," and "Timothy," and "In the Year 2525."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izQB2-Kmiic
StevenSavile
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2017, 03:58:25 PM »

After dad died a few years back I went out and bought a turntable for the first time in about 20 years, then obsessively hunted down every single vinyl album I used to own, and all of the ones where I'd only been able to afford the hit single at the time, and then all of the others that I just loved... and bought about 800 LPs in about 3 months... my post woman loved me hah
MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2017, 03:18:39 PM »

I swear to God, I am going to start using this board again. Forgive me, people. It's been a heck of a year.

So glad to have this one back in the collection. I originally bought it way back when, and some of the classic/southern rockheads I knew laughed. Looking back, I see this as a herald of a bright and exciting new era for music. The Heads did some mind-blowing stuff later on, but it all started here back in '77.
wolfnoma
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2017, 06:21:32 AM »

Mark, you have an amazing collection.
MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2017, 04:06:48 AM »

Thank you!

Give me a break. I rarely buy records anymore. Money has been tight, and it's way, way harder to find stuff at the thrift stores these days.

I could not resist this 7" tidbit from Cramps guitarist Poison Ivy. I wish she would do a full length album of instrumentals.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length