Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register

+  The Horror Drive-In
|-+  Horror Drive-In
| |-+  Drive In Theater By Night (Moderators: among736, RonClinton)
| | |-+  Blue Crab Books
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Blue Crab Books  (Read 360 times)
MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2016, 06:11:20 AM »

I discovered a delightful used bookstore yesterday. Well, I had been there before, and while it was all right, a new young lady has taken over. She has made it into a charming little place for book lovers. She also sells records, provides coffee, and sells mugs emblazoned with the store logo.

I don't see how she will stay in business with the prices she is charging. I bought Gail Peterson's How To Make a Monster for a dollar, an ARC of Kathe Koja's Bad Brains for a dollar, the Necro trade paperback of Edward Lee's Creekers for three dollars, and a Chizine Christopher Golden collection for three bucks. That beats the hell out of even the penny-with-shipping prices at Amazon Marketplace and other online outlets.

Funny name for a store? Well, we are on the Chesapeake Bay, which is the blue crab capital of the world. Best on the planet, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I plan to be a regular at Blue Crab Books, and I think I am going to take her a box of books. No need for store credit. If there is something I want on the shelves, I will buy it.
MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 06:21:44 AM »

Doesn't this look inviting?

LincolnB
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 06:24:13 AM »

Nice. Love reading stories like that.
After being smashed by the BIG corporate bookstores, I really hope that the independents, new and secondhand, start popping up again. Especially those with the book lovers vibe.
MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 06:32:04 AM »

The stylish young proprietor of Blue Crab Books is an Anne Rice devotee. Not exactly my cup of tea, but it's cool that she likes supernatural fiction. She had never heard of Poppy Z. Brite, and I told her about Lost Souls. I also told her that I would bring her a paperback copy next time I am in the store. Which will be very soon.
wolfnoma
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 09:26:08 AM »

Dude, I've got to go there!
markgunnells
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 10:01:54 AM »

The stylish young proprietor of Blue Crab Books is an Anne Rice devotee. Not exactly my cup of tea, but it's cool that she likes supernatural fiction. She had never heard of Poppy Z. Brite, and I told her about Lost Souls. I also told her that I would bring her a paperback copy next time I am in the store. Which will be very soon.

I love me some Rice too, and while I was fully immersed in the Chronicles I discovered and fell in love with Poppy Z. Brite so maybe this lady will have the same experience.
RonClinton
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 10:16:59 AM »

I don't see how she will stay in business with the prices she is charging.

Volume.  So start buying, Mark!

That looks like a great store.  I really, really miss the days when a mom-and-pop used bookstore (and video store) was on just about every street corner.  Sad  Today, I can count on one hand those type of stores that are within a 20-mile radius of me.  Half-Price Book (which I don't count as mom-and-pop, of course) stores are great, but I miss the days of number and variety.
MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 11:00:15 AM »

I'm either a pessimist or a realist. I was there at Blue Crab Books today, and everything had to go. A closing down sale. The proprietor gave it a good shot, but she couldn't keep it going. We bought two bookshelves for five bucks each, and a kid's table and chairs for six. Plus a couple of books for a dollar. It's really sad to see the place fail, when her intentions were so great, and she was so positive about it all.
RonClinton
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 12:43:16 PM »

I'm either a pessimist or a realist. I was there at Blue Crab Books today, and everything had to go. A closing down sale. The proprietor gave it a good shot, but she couldn't keep it going. We bought two bookshelves for five bucks each, and a kid's table and chairs for six. Plus a couple of books for a dollar. It's really sad to see the place fail, when her intentions were so great, and she was so positive about it all.

That's really sad to hear that she couldn't make a go of it, Mark.  Not a surprise, I suppose, given the number of used bookstores that I've seen go out of business over the last two decades...very, very few mom-and-pop type used bookstores around here anymore.  The hot Seattle-area real estate market (and, therefore, rents) account for some of that, but the whole economic and cultural landscape has changed since the days when I could hit a dozen used bookstore within a five-mile radius.  Those were the days, my friends, I thought they'd never end...but they did.  Sad
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length