Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register

+  The Horror Drive-In
|-+  Horror Drive-In
| |-+  Drive In Theater By Night (Moderators: among736, RonClinton)
| | |-+  Hey, Mark S. -- have you heard of this new 1980's coming-of-age novel...?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Hey, Mark S. -- have you heard of this new 1980's coming-of-age novel...?  (Read 1287 times)
RonClinton
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2017, 12:17:09 PM »

THE IMPOSSIBLE FORTRESS: A NOVEL, by Jason Rekulak

https://www.amazon.com/Impossible-Fortress-Novel-Jason-Rekulak/dp/1501144413/ref=cm_wl_huc_item

Sounds right up your alley.  I think I'm going to request a copy from my library, too  Smiley ...I've been in a reading rut lately, and need something new and fresh and fun.
MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 04:15:22 AM »

I'm sold. Thanks for the heads up.
markgunnells
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 04:29:26 AM »

Sounds right up Mark G's alley too.
RonClinton
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 09:19:08 AM »

The more Marks the better.  Smiley
Aaron2010
Triple Feature

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 05:36:31 PM »

It does sound good.  Let us know when you start it.

fred
Four Movie Freak

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 04:39:26 AM »

I've taken the rec on this, too, and ordered it. I skimmed the online preview, and almost laughed out loud....very humorous, and enjoyable  I should have it by mid week.
RonClinton
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 06:20:21 PM »

Still waiting for my library to alert me that my copy is in...not quite willing to spend $$ on this one.  Not sure why I'd be willing to gamble with $20 on a small-press genre book and not a fic/lit book of this sort, but <shrug> there it is.
MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 04:21:20 AM »

I breezed through over half of The Impossible Fortress last night. It's very enjoyable, if lightweight. I doubt it will have the effect upon me that My Best Friend's Exorcism did, though I could be wrong. I picture a young, Better Off Dead-era John Cusack as the lead. This is a fun book, even for someone like myself who never had an iota of interest in gaming, computer codes, or machine language. I think just about everyone will get some enjoyment out of it.
Argendeli
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 04:32:24 AM »

I picked it up from the library last week.  Will start it after I finish DEAD ON THE BONES by Lansdale.

Jim
MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 04:29:46 PM »

I knocked it out last night. A two-sitting read. The Impossible Fortress is a sweet, funny, smart story that I truly enjoyed. Hey, we all need a break from the dark stuff every now and then.
among736
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 08:09:06 AM »

Thanks to Ron for bringing this up.  I ordered it up last week and, like Mark, read it in about two sittings.  Such a fantastic novel, especially if you were a kid during the 80's and were at all interested in gaming or coding on a Commodore 64.  I gave it a 10 out of 10 because it felt like the book was written for me, but I have to assume that someone who had no ties to the era would still enjoy it.  Maybe an 8 out of 10 in that case?

Review here.

Andy
RonClinton
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 01:49:48 PM »

My library finally came through with my copy...will probably start it in the next couple days.  Just in time, too...I need something new/fresh/different to read.
fred
Four Movie Freak

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 07:33:50 AM »

I finished it yesterday.  Great novel....10 out of 10 from me.
RonClinton
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 07:38:21 AM »

My library finally came through with my copy...will probably start it in the next couple days.  Just in time, too...I need something new/fresh/different to read.

Trying to get HONKY TONK SAMAURAI (Lansdale) under my belt before starting my copy...looking forward to it.
RonClinton
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 10:47:21 AM »

Trying to get HONKY TONK SAMAURAI (Lansdale) under my belt before starting my copy...looking forward to it.

Gave HONKY TONK SAMAURAI a break, and instead picked up THE IMPOSSIBLE FORTRESS.  I read a third of it last night, and am loving every second of this wonderful work.  The year is young, certainly, but so far this is the best book of the year for me.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length