Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register

+  The Horror Drive-In
|-+  Horror Drive-In
| |-+  Drive In Theater By Night (Moderators: among736, RonClinton)
| | |-+  Hey, Mark S. -- have you heard of this new 1980's coming-of-age novel...?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Hey, Mark S. -- have you heard of this new 1980's coming-of-age novel...?  (Read 1288 times)
LincolnB
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2017, 07:33:16 PM »

I picked up this as well, this week. Looking forward to starting it - and a small break from horror.
RonClinton
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2017, 11:18:13 PM »

My library finally came through with my copy...will probably start it in the next couple days.  Just in time, too...I need something new/fresh/different to read.

Trying to get HONKY TONK SAMAURAI (Lansdale) under my belt before starting my copy...looking forward to it.

Gave HONKY TONK SAMAURAI a break, and instead picked up THE IMPOSSIBLE FORTRESS.  I read a third of it last night, and am loving every second of this wonderful work.  The year is young, certainly, but so far this is the best book of the year for me.

Finished it tonight, so read the entire book over the span of two nights… That's the first time I've been so enraptured and compelled to read a book in a very, very long time.  Highly recommended.
among736
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2017, 06:52:00 AM »

For those who enjoy such things, a playable version of The Impossible Fortress is available on the author's website.

Andy
MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2017, 11:25:52 AM »

Everyone seems to like this more than I did. Oh, I quite enjoyed the novel, but as I said above, it's featherweight, and it won't be near the top of my favorites list. Still, a very fun, sweet, lightning-quick read.
RonClinton
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2017, 01:53:32 PM »

it's featherweight,

No argument from me there, but that featherweight nature is its charm and one that I believe the author intended, and the book succeeded in being exactly what the author set out to achieve, no more, no less.  

Lately I've grown weary of my usual reading, of death and terror, of violence, of the bleakness of noir and the complexity of human suffering and struggle, of trying to find reason in tumult and hopelessness, etc.  Maybe I've OD'd on that kind of stuff for a short while, maybe I just have too much of some of it in my own reality, but I needed a break from it all, to read something sweet and uplifting, that reveled in an intentional authorial simplicity to tell its tale, and this coming-of-age tale delivered that lightweight charm in spades.  That it was set in an era that was instantly recognizable and its package of touchstones and memories readily comforting were just icing on the proverbial cake.  It was, for me, a perfect read at the perfect time; I only wish it'd been thousands of pages and not over so soon, as I'm not ready to embrace suffering and terror again quite yet.
among736
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2017, 01:59:56 PM »

For me, it's because the book very closely mirrored my life at that same time -- playing and programming games on a C64, trying to snag a copy Playboy, etc.  The flood of good memories from reading this book was incredible.  Like Ron, I wish it had gone on longer.

Andy
dannyboy121070
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2017, 08:42:17 AM »

You people are bound and determined to make me spend money on this book, aren't you....? Cry

Argendeli
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2017, 09:38:32 AM »

Don't spend $.  Use your local library!  That is how I read it.

Jim
MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2017, 01:32:25 PM »

I second the suggestion of using the public library.

It probably doesn't help that I have always despised electronic gaming.
dannyboy121070
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2017, 06:32:16 AM »

I second the suggestion of using the public library.

It probably doesn't help that I have always despised electronic gaming.

Really? You never played arcade games back in the '80's? Pac-Man? Space Invaders? Pong? Asteroids....?

I'm lucky enough to live relatively close to The Strong National Museum of Play in Rochester, NY, which houses the National Toy Hall of Fame. They have a massive collection of old arcade games and pinball machines. I can't get enough of those old games.

I'm gonna have to read this book.

MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2017, 09:04:58 AM »

Nope, not really. Pinball was my game.
dannyboy121070
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2017, 10:04:21 AM »

I love pinball, even though my skills are nothing to write home about.

RonClinton
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2017, 10:35:22 AM »

For me, it's because the book very closely mirrored my life at that same time -- playing and programming games on a C64, trying to snag a copy Playboy, etc.  The flood of good memories from reading this book was incredible.  Like Ron, I wish it had gone on longer.

Andy

I still remember when the TRS-80s were introduced to our middle school… incredible stuff at the time. Amazingly, I still remembered enough of the coding from middle school and high school on these machines to make some of the coding used in the chapter introductions a little familiar. My coding days are long, long behind me, but it was a neat flashback.
MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2017, 10:51:15 AM »

Being the old guy that I am, I was a bit early for the gaming phenomenon. Some of my friends had Atari systems and played arcade games, but I mostly couldn't stand them. Pac-Man merely frustrated me, and I had no desire to get better at it. I did do Missile Command a bit, and was decent at it. But, for the most part, I have largely and happily eschewed electronic gaming.
dannyboy121070
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2017, 10:58:12 AM »

Being the old guy that I am

You make yourself sound like Methesulah. Aren't most of us here roughly the same age (Mid-40's- mid-50's)?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length