Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register

+  The Horror Drive-In
|-+  Horror Drive-In
| |-+  Drive In Theater By Night (Moderators: among736, RonClinton)
| | |-+  The Comic Book Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: The Comic Book Thread  (Read 5363 times)
Kyle L.
Cthulhus Lover
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2017, 10:26:15 AM »

I read graphic novels and manga, usually wait for compedium and omnibus editions.  Funny enough, I am sitting outside the doors waiting for Emerald City Comic Con as I type this.

https://kylelybeck.wordpress.com
Nightmare Reality and Perverse Humanity both out now on Amazon!  http://amzn.to/2pW0TML
wolfnoma
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2017, 12:04:06 PM »

I read graphic novels and manga, usually wait for compedium and omnibus editions.  Funny enough, I am sitting outside the doors waiting for Emerald City Comic Con as I type this.

I approve of this type of behavior!  Grin
dannyboy121070
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2017, 10:26:51 AM »

Finished the first REBIRTH volume of AQUAMAN...Not too bad, but not good enough to get me to read volume 2. The character and situations (Pissed-off merman who rules a kingdom of assholes who perpetually invade the surface world, both with his permission and against his wishes) seem more suited to Namor, The Sub-Mariner than Aquaman. So far, Tom King's BATMAN is the only first REBIRTH volume that I've read that's made me want to read more.

Kyle L.
Cthulhus Lover
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2017, 06:16:40 PM »

Picked up a hardcover of volume 1 for a guy who Kickstarted his graphic novel at Comic Con.  It's called Touching Evil: The Curse Escapes, and looks/sounds pretty cool.  Once I have some time after some manga reading, editing of books, and writing, I'll get around to it.

https://kylelybeck.wordpress.com
Nightmare Reality and Perverse Humanity both out now on Amazon!  http://amzn.to/2pW0TML
RyanCThomas
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2017, 01:07:47 PM »

I'm reading a lot of comics right now. Some of my favorites are
SAGA
PAPER GIRLS
OUTCAST
RAT QUEENS
Batman, Detective, Green Arrow, Superman and Titans in the DC Rebirth stuff
PROVIDENCE
THE FIX
PUNISHER
COPPERHEAD
BULLSEYE (Amazing, dark stuff!)
BLACK WIDOW
LETTER 44
NAILBITER (A must for horror fans)

definitely for horror fans I'd say get Outcast, Providence, Nailbiter, and the new Bullseye

among736
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2017, 06:32:16 PM »

I finally typed up a review for Hard Case Crime's first two comic series, Triggerman and Peepland.  It can be read here.

I see that there's already another series by the team that did Triggerman, this one entitled The Assignment.  Three issues are already out, with two more to come.  No idea how I miss the news about Hard Case's comic releases.  I'm on their mailing list as well as their FB page, and I've seen nothing.

Digging around on other sites, I see Hard Case's forthcoming comic projects include a new story in the Dragon Tattoo series, as well as a new Quarry arc.  Good reading ahead...

Andy
dannyboy121070
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2017, 08:41:02 AM »

My daughter had a mob of loud, obnoxious 14-year-ols girls sleep over for her birthday, so, since ME sleeping was not an option, I stayed up until 4 alternating between ACTS OF VENGEANCE! OMNIBUS and ACTS OF VENGEANCE! CROSSOVER OMNIBUS. 1980's Marvel hits my sweet spot.

among736
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2017, 11:04:32 AM »

Hmm.

To this point I've shied away from Comixology Unlimited because, even though it only costs $5.99 per month, it really only offered the first story ARC of each series.  More of a win for the company than the reader, if they can get you hooked on new series and have you buy future issues.

Buuuuut, I see that for the next couple months, Image is celebrating its 25th anniversary by releasing larger/entire runs of their most popular series on the comic service.  I see that Invincible now offers the first four collected editions, and Thief of Thieves offers damn near the entire run (both of which I've been meaning to read).  I also see they have the up-to-date run of Bitch Planet (which was nowhere on my radar, but I keep hearing good things).  And, every couple weeks through May, they're adding lengthier runs for more series.

Between getting a free 30-day trial, and then the cheap subscription fee thereafter, it might be time to pull the trigger for the time being.  I mean, shit...at $5.99 per month, that's like reading 1.5 comics, and I know I'll read waaaaay more than that if I have access to Image's library (plus all of the other publishers on top of it).

Andy
among736
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2017, 08:46:02 AM »

I pulled the trigger on the free 30 days at Comixology, and started with the first collection of Thief of Thieves.  Pretty good story about a lifetime thief who has decided he's going to get out of the trade, only to be stuck asking his old crew to help him figure out a way to get his son out of trouble with the FBI.  The group agrees, but only if he gets back in the business for another score.  It plays like Oceans 11 with action that has a small dose of dark humor.  Dug it enough to jump into the second collection this morning.  Recommended so far.

Andy
dannyboy121070
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2017, 10:18:07 AM »

I read the first THIEF OF THIEVES arc a while back, and it was pretty good, but I didn't feel that it was good enough to make me pick up the second volume. Image has a lot of books out there that had great first volumes (BITCH PLANET, PRETTY DEADLY, GHOSTED, I could go on and on...), but the second volume takes so long to come out that I totally forget what the book is about, who the characters are, etc, and I usually end up bailing. There's something to be said for having a book that comes out on time......you give me a chance to lose track of the story, and I'm gone.

wolfnoma
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2017, 03:37:38 AM »

I may have posted this before but ReadComics.TV has a huge archive of comics online for free.
dannyboy121070
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2017, 10:38:43 AM »

I just finished the first volume of DC's FLINTSTONES re-imagining, and it was fucking hilarious, pardon my language. I cannot recommend this one enough. I am not what you would call a Flintstones fan, but this is a brilliant piece of satire.
(Amazon/Comixology has the first volume currently priced at $3.99....Totally worth it.)

BrianKeene1
Four Movie Freak

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2017, 11:11:57 AM »

I just finished the first volume of DC's FLINTSTONES re-imagining, and it was fucking hilarious, pardon my language. I cannot recommend this one enough. I am not what you would call a Flintstones fan, but this is a brilliant piece of satire.
(Amazon/Comixology has the first volume currently priced at $3.99....Totally worth it.)

SCOOBY APOCALYPSE is a lot of fun, too.
among736
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2017, 04:39:56 AM »

Thanks Danny and Brian.....both are on my wish list.

Almost done with volume 2 of Thief of Thieves.  I'll probably take a break from it and move on to one called Wytches, which looks pretty interesting.

Andy           
among736
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2017, 05:23:13 PM »

Anyone know of any funny stories out there?  I'm in the mood for some comedy, and have no idea where to turn to.

Andy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length