Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register

+  The Horror Drive-In
|-+  Horror Drive-In
| |-+  Drive In Theater By Night (Moderators: among736, RonClinton)
| | |-+  The Comic Book Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: The Comic Book Thread  (Read 1778 times)
dannyboy121070
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2017, 01:06:37 PM »

Funny....? Off the top of my head, I would say try THE FLINTSTONES.
Marvel used to have a pretty funny book called WHAT THE--?!, that I would assume to be available digitally. Other than that, try MINIMUM WAGE or TALES TO THRIZZLE, both of which have made me laugh out loud on numerous occasions.
Eddie Campbell's BACCHUS and THE EYEBALL KID also bring the laughs, even if they're not strictly comedic in nature.

among736
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2017, 01:57:03 PM »

Sorry for the awkwardness, but I love you, man.   Grin

Thrizzle is available on ComiXology, and I've added Minimum Wage to my purchase list.  Thank you!!

Andy

p.s.  ComiXology just released three more full Image series yesterday.  Currently reading The Fade Out by Brubaker and Phillips.  Fan-effing-tastic.
dannyboy121070
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2017, 02:13:34 PM »

I love you too, bro.
Let me know what you think once you're read them....
I've got THE FADE OUT sitting in my endless piles, waiting to be read.
I'm currently reading a few issues of Dark Horse's excellent series MICHAEL CHABON PRESENTS THE AMAZING ADVENTURES OF THE ESCAPIST, an anthology series featuring the comic-book character from Chabon's THE AMAZING ADVENTURES OF KAVALIER & CLAY. You can tell all involved had a great time with this series.

BrianKeene1
Triple Feature

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2017, 02:14:49 PM »

if you like Edward Lee's sense of humor than you'll absolutely love PREACHER (just avoid the neutered, listless AMC adaptation and read the actual comics). Or if you want something safer, try QUANTUM AND WOODY or Giffen and DeMatteis's runs on JUSTICE LEAGUE or THE DEFENDERS.
dannyboy121070
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2017, 02:29:18 PM »

if you like Edward Lee's sense of humor than you'll absolutely love PREACHER (just avoid the neutered, listless AMC adaptation and read the actual comics). Or if you want something safer, try QUANTUM AND WOODY or Giffen and DeMatteis's runs on JUSTICE LEAGUE or THE DEFENDERS.

I'm glad to hear you say that, because I love PREACHER, but I bailed on the show after the first episode...I was not digging the cast, the tone, or the sluggish pace.

BrianKeene1
Triple Feature

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2017, 04:02:44 PM »

I'm glad to hear you say that, because I love PREACHER, but I bailed on the show after the first episode...I was not digging the cast, the tone, or the sluggish pace.

Worst adaptation of anything (book, comic, video game, etc) I've ever seen. Completely spiritless, and lacking even an ounce of what makes the source material so iconic and seminal.
dannyboy121070
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2017, 05:10:10 PM »

Considering how great Preacher is, this is a real missed opportunity. I'm sad that we'll probably never get a faithful adaptation.....I mean, it's all right there in the book. Don't tinker, don't add, don't change anything....jeeze.

BrianKeene1
Triple Feature

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2017, 05:11:26 PM »

Considering how great Preacher is, this is a real missed opportunity. I'm sad that we'll probably never get a faithful adaptation.....I mean, it's all right there in the book. Don't tinker, don't add, don't change anything....jeeze.

I've got hopes for the (rumored) TRANSMETROPOLITAN adaptation.
among736
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2017, 06:33:29 PM »

I have a whole bunch of Preacher in my tbr pile, and I really have no excuse for not reading it.  I love the Ennis/Dillon combo, and hell, it's considered by many to be one of the best comics ever written.  Soon....soon.

Thanks, guys.

Andy
dannyboy121070
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2017, 08:00:03 PM »

I've got hopes for the (rumored) TRANSMETROPOLITAN adaptation.

I'm a big Warren Ellis fan, but I've never read TRANSMETROPOLITAN.... Cry Cry

among736
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2017, 07:24:23 AM »

I need to spend some time poking around on ComiXology -- there's just SO much -- but I found some collected Peanuts volumes out there.  I'm a fan, so that'll be fun/funny.

Andy
among736
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2017, 08:11:34 AM »

I've got THE FADE OUT sitting in my endless piles, waiting to be read.

Duuuuuuude.  Just finished Volume 1, and it's fantastic.  Jumping right into the next one now.

Oh, and the Peanuts collection I was going to read was a letdown.  The stories were all done by people other than Charles Schulz, with some of Schulz's own strips sprinkled throughout (maybe 10 in all).  After trying the non-Schulz ones and not finding them very enjoyable, I just skipped through the collection to read the Schulz strips and called it a day.  Disappointing.

Andy
dannyboy121070
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2017, 01:57:49 PM »

Did I recommend SOUTHERN BASTARDS to you, Andy? If not, I just finished volume 3, and it's phenomenal. From the same writer as SCALPED, Jason Aaron. Can't say enough good things about it.

MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2017, 02:31:45 PM »

Danny, have you read The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl? I think you might like it.
dannyboy121070
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2017, 02:58:01 PM »

Never heard of it until you started a thread about it, but now I'm interested, especially since you mentioned Bendis...he's a, um...polarizing figure in the comic-book world.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length