Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register

+  The Horror Drive-In
|-+  Horror Drive-In
| |-+  Drive In Theater By Night (Moderators: among736, RonClinton)
| | |-+  The Comic Book Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print
Author Topic: The Comic Book Thread  (Read 2981 times)
among736
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2017, 05:53:54 AM »

Did I recommend SOUTHERN BASTARDS to you, Andy? If not, I just finished volume 3, and it's phenomenal. From the same writer as SCALPED, Jason Aaron. Can't say enough good things about it.

I bumbled across it in a store about a year ago and picked up a copy of volume 1...and it's been languishing in the pile ever since.  One of these days...

Andy
dannyboy121070
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2017, 07:20:02 AM »

I dug into my backlog, and pulled out ESSENTIAL IRON FIST, VOL. 1.....great 1970's martial arts stuff. I loved the late. lamented ESSENTIAL format. Such a great value.

MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2017, 04:07:23 PM »

Do you comics aficionados have any good recommendations for a soon-to-be seven year old girl? She loves reading and has expressed an interest in the comics field. Nettie is a talented and someone sensitive young lady, and I wouldn't want to inflict anything too strong upon her. She tends to like fairies and horses, but just about anything with a decent storyline would suit her.
Adam James
Dead By Dawn

Thinks penguins are great pilots

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2017, 05:53:28 PM »

If she has a favorite cartoon, there's probably a comic of it. My Little Pony, Scooby Doo, Adventure Time, etc.
BrianKeene1
Triple Feature

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2017, 06:37:00 PM »

Do you comics aficionados have any good recommendations for a soon-to-be seven year old girl? She loves reading and has expressed an interest in the comics field. Nettie is a talented and someone sensitive young lady, and I wouldn't want to inflict anything too strong upon her. She tends to like fairies and horses, but just about anything with a decent storyline would suit her.

As Adam said, My Little Pony and Scooby Doo are excellent for that age group (although make sure you get Scooby Doo and not Scooby Apocalypse, which is a bit more PG-13 in its storyline).

Aw Yeah Comics is adorable, and a favorite of my nine-year old. He also reads Spongebob and Simpsons monthly (and both are age appropriate).

The one kid's comic I really recommend, however, is Lumberjanes. It's a group of girl scouts at summer camp fighting supernatural threats. Lumberjanes is collected in trade paperback volumes, as well as being released monthly in standard comic format. My advice is to start her at the beginning and buy the Vol. 1 trade. I predict she will be hooked. It really is a delightful book. Perfect for that age group, but enjoyable for adults, as well.  
Argendeli
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2017, 02:37:46 AM »

Our 10 year old daughter likes the Dr. Who comic.

MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2017, 03:31:00 PM »

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I decided to go with Lumberjanes, which sounds wonderful. I ordered the trade paperback from B&N. Nettie's birthday is in a couple of weeks, but you know what? I don't think I'll wait to give it to her. Books are not frivolous gifts or luxury items. They are daily necessities.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 03:32:39 AM by MarkSieber » Logged
BrianKeene1
Triple Feature

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2017, 03:43:59 PM »

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I decided to go with Lumberjanes, which sounds wonderful. I ordered the trade paperback from B&N. Nettie's birthday is in a couple of weeks, but you know what? I don't think I'll wait to give it to her. Books are frivolous gifts or luxury items. They are daily necessities.

If she likes it, let me know, and I'll bring you some cool related items to STC, for you to give to her. Which reminds me. About a month ago, Mary and I found a Harlan Ellison spoken word album in the record store. I snagged it for you, to pay you back for that Fugees album you gave me at STC last year. So expect that in July, too.
MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2017, 04:16:07 PM »

Hey, that's awesome, Brian! Thank you!

I hope that Nettie and her sister Lena will make it to the con, and maybe you can give them directly to her. I think she'd like that a lot, and she will definitely be impressed to meet a bunch of authors. We've invited them, and their Mom, to join us for at least Saturday.
dannyboy121070
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2017, 05:49:28 PM »

I wracked my brains for a suggestion, Mark, and it finally hit me......Jeff Smith's BONE.
An all-ages epic fantasy adventure, complete with cute creatures, daring adventure, unrequited love, heartbreak, laughs, scary monsters, and just about anything else you could think of. I believe it runs ten volumes, but they have a great omnibus that collects the whole thing for about thirty bucks. (It's MASSIVE, but younger readers don't seem to have any problems understanding it. I gave it to my daughter when she was 7 or 8, and she fell in love with it.)
Here's a link to B&N:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/4bone-jeff-smith/1107838311?ean=9781888963144)

BrianKeene1
Triple Feature

View Profile Email
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2017, 06:09:36 PM »

I wracked my brains for a suggestion, Mark, and it finally hit me......Jeff Smith's BONE.
An all-ages epic fantasy adventure, complete with cute creatures, daring adventure, unrequited love, heartbreak, laughs, scary monsters, and just about anything else you could think of. I believe it runs ten volumes, but they have a great omnibus that collects the whole thing for about thirty bucks. (It's MASSIVE, but younger readers don't seem to have any problems understanding it. I gave it to my daughter when she was 7 or 8, and she fell in love with it.)
Here's a link to B&N:

Oh, that's a GREAT suggestion! Been years since I've read that. Might be due a revisit.
Adam James
Dead By Dawn

Thinks penguins are great pilots

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2017, 07:56:02 PM »

Here's a link to B&N:

I thought of Bone, but thought it's for the 10+ crowd.
MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2017, 02:15:24 PM »

I'll definitely keep Bone in mind. Thanks, Danny. For now I'm going to see how Lumberjanes goes. The book should be in soon, and I hope give it to Nettie this weekend when I see her.
RonClinton
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2017, 08:46:56 AM »

I'm not a comic book fan or reader anymore, and haven't been since my teenage years, but I still have a soft spot and a continuing affinity for one particular character, the Spectre -- specifically, the rather merciless and grisly protagonist from the 1970s comics, who melted his foes alive, or turned them to wood before slicing them up with a saw, etc..  So it was with great excitement that I ran across this a few months ago, a tpb reprint of that great (but relatively short-lived) series from the '70s:

Great fun revisiting these issues...hard to believe how vivid my memory is when it comes to these, almost like I read them yesterday instead of 30+ years ago (and I can't even remember what I had for dinner last night!).

dannyboy121070
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2017, 11:04:10 AM »

Ron, DC did a great revival of THE SPECTRE in...the late '90/s...? John Ostrander wrote it, and it was outstanding. If you're ever looking for some more Spectre, give that one a try.
https://www.amazon.com/Spectre-Vol-Crimes-Judgments/dp/1401247180/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493661818&sr=8-1&keywords=john+ostrander+spectre

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length