Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register

+  The Horror Drive-In
|-+  Horror Drive-In
| |-+  Drive In Theater By Night (Moderators: among736, RonClinton)
| | |-+  The Comic Book Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Print
Author Topic: The Comic Book Thread  (Read 3936 times)
BrianKeene1
Triple Feature

View Profile Email
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2017, 07:07:27 PM »

Nettie loves Lumberjanes. She just finished the second trade paperback, and we ordered her the next two. THANK YOU, Brian Keene, for the recommendation.

AWESOME! I had a feeling she would. It's really a delightful comic.
BrianKeene1
Triple Feature

View Profile Email
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2017, 08:38:16 AM »

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/06/15/brian-keene-teasing-8-dc-specials-horror-authors-halloween/
dannyboy121070
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2017, 10:03:08 AM »

I read that earlier today, and I was going to e-mail you and make you come clean....
You can tell us. We won't blab...... Grin

BrianKeene1
Triple Feature

View Profile Email
« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2017, 03:12:17 PM »

I read that earlier today, and I was going to e-mail you and make you come clean....

How about I give you guys the other four names before the rest of the world gets them tomorrow?

So, today we teased:

Brian Keene + Justice League
Mary SanGiovanni + Wonder Woman
Nick Cutter + Batman
Wrath James White + Two-Face

Tomorrow we'll tease:

Edward Lee + Superman
Ronald Malfi + Green Lantern
Weston Ochse + Shazam
Bryan Smith & Brian Keene + Harley Quinn

But that's really all I can say, other than when next month's Previews hits your local comic store, you'll want to pre-order.
dannyboy121070
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2017, 07:17:45 PM »

I'm sure there's way more to this than I can guess, but whatever it is, I'm in. I got a kick out of seeing this on Bleeding Cool this morning, and I'm looking forward to seeing Jude Terror's coverage of the other half of the teaser tomorrow.

While I'm here, did anyone else take advantage of the crazy Marvel digital sale that Amazon ran a couple of weeks ago? I picked up a bunch of stuff for a song....I'm not crazy about reading comics digitally, but when you can pick up all four volumes of PUNISHER MAX: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION for thirteen bucks, who can say no? I read the first two volumes over the past few days, and...wow. I read these in floppy form when they first came out, but reading them in big chunks really lets you appreciate the work that Garth Ennis put into the character and his reluctant allies, and the villains are just batshit crazy.
I just finished "The Slavers", and that has to be one of the darkest, most depressing stories that I've ever experienced, in any medium.
I know Brian and Andy must have read these already......What are your thoughts on Ennis' Punisher?

pinheadspawn
Triple Feature

View Profile Email
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2017, 08:27:36 PM »

Garth Ennis' Punisher are the DEFINITIVE punisher books in my opinion

Jason
BrianKeene1
Triple Feature

View Profile Email
« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2017, 03:45:22 AM »

Jason

Agreed. Certain authors leave their mark on a character and no one else ever comes close. Steve Gerber with Man-Thing, JM DeMatteis with Kraven, Alan Moore with Swamp Thing, Frank Miller with Batman. Garth Ennis's Punisher is like that. That run was perfection.
among736
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2017, 08:32:15 AM »

Jason

Agreed. Certain authors leave their mark on a character and no one else ever comes close. Steve Gerber with Man-Thing, JM DeMatteis with Kraven, Alan Moore with Swamp Thing, Frank Miller with Batman. Garth Ennis's Punisher is like that. That run was perfection.

You'll hear no argument from me.  Ennis' Punisher was brilliant.

My memory is failing...was the issue with no dialogue in that series as well?  It's been a long time, but I think there was a one-off story that was all art and no words, and it was so well done.  Takes some serious chops to tell a full story -- and a good one at that, if I remember correctly -- with no exposition to drive it forward.

All this being said, I *loved* the Aaron/Dillon series as well. 

Andy
among736
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2017, 08:33:22 AM »

How about I give you guys the other four names before the rest of the world gets them tomorrow?

So, today we teased:

Brian Keene + Justice League
Mary SanGiovanni + Wonder Woman
Nick Cutter + Batman
Wrath James White + Two-Face

Tomorrow we'll tease:

Edward Lee + Superman
Ronald Malfi + Green Lantern
Weston Ochse + Shazam
Bryan Smith & Brian Keene + Harley Quinn

But that's really all I can say, other than when next month's Previews hits your local comic store, you'll want to pre-order.

I am *all over* this project.  Thanks for keeping us in the loop, Brian!

Cutter + Batman makes me smile, for whatever reason.  Smiley

Andy
BrianKeene1
Triple Feature

View Profile Email
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2017, 11:10:03 AM »

My memory is failing...was the issue with no dialogue in that series as well?  It's been a long time, but I think there was a one-off story that was all art and no words, and it was so well done.  Takes some serious chops to tell a full story -- and a good one at that, if I remember correctly -- with no exposition to drive it forward.

Yep, that was Ennis. Issue #7 of the 2001 series.
BrianKeene1
Triple Feature

View Profile Email
« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2017, 11:11:05 AM »

Cutter + Batman makes me smile, for whatever reason.  Smiley

It made Keith Giffen say, "Why can't we have him writing all the comics all the time?"  Cool
among736
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2017, 04:56:51 PM »

Cutter + Batman makes me smile, for whatever reason.  Smiley

It made Keith Giffen say, "Why can't we have him writing all the comics all the time?"  Cool

Grin   I look forward to seeing where he takes it.  The material written under the Cutter name has been fantastic to-date, and I'm sure this will be no exception.

Although the prospect of a Brian/Bryan/Harley ménage a trois is just as exciting.  Oh, the possibilities...

Andy
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 01:43:05 PM by among736 » Logged
dannyboy121070
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2017, 01:35:22 PM »

Whatever this turns out to be, I hope the books are in a larger format than the current 20-pages-of-story DC format. A series of 48-page one-shots that gave the stories time to breathe would be awesome.

among736
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2017, 12:15:13 PM »

Read Volumes 2 and 3 of The Fade Out over the weekend.  *Fantastic* series from start to finish.  I was sad to see it end, but Brubaker/Phillips did it right -- tell your story, tell it well, then get the hell out so it doesn't get watered down and lose its potency.

Danny, if you have these on the pile, move them toward the top.  They don't come much better.

Starting Scene of the Crime next.

Andy
dannyboy121070
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2017, 05:27:05 PM »

Doing a binge-read of comics featuring The Thing, one of my all-time favorite comic-book characters.....currently about 1/4 of the way through THE FANTASTIC FOUR BY JOHN BYRNE OMNIBUS. Glorious stuff.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length