Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register

+  The Horror Drive-In
|-+  Horror Drive-In
| |-+  Drive In Theater By Night (Moderators: among736, RonClinton)
| | |-+  The Comic Book Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: The Comic Book Thread  (Read 5224 times)
among736
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #90 on: July 08, 2017, 01:16:37 PM »

Bumbled into some Big Trouble in Little China comics the other day.  Looks like it was created with Carpenter's involvement.  Also found a Jack Burton and Snake Plissken mash-up.  Anyone read any of these?  Worth a go?  I'd be down with some new Big Trouble stories.....not sure what I think about the Burton-Plissken idea though.

Andy
BrianKeene1
Four Movie Freak

View Profile Email
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2017, 02:18:52 PM »

https://www.newsarama.com/35255-dc-rebirth-gets-haunted-in-house-of-horrors.html
dannyboy121070
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2017, 04:39:47 PM »

I'm gonna have to track down a copy in October.....sounds great, Brian! Kaluta art.....awesome!

BrianKeene1
Four Movie Freak

View Profile Email
« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2017, 05:10:58 PM »

Bumbled into some Big Trouble in Little China comics the other day.  Looks like it was created with Carpenter's involvement.  Also found a Jack Burton and Snake Plissken mash-up.  Anyone read any of these?  Worth a go?  I'd be down with some new Big Trouble stories.....not sure what I think about the Burton-Plissken idea though.

Andy

Haven't read them, but I know they have Carpenter's blessing.
BrianKeene1
Four Movie Freak

View Profile Email
« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2017, 05:12:24 PM »

I'm gonna have to track down a copy in October.....sounds great, Brian! Kaluta art.....awesome!

Thanks, buddy.
dannyboy121070
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2017, 05:21:44 PM »

I haven't read the BIG TROUBLE comics yet, but I picked up the first few trades, which were written by Eric Powell, who does THE GOON. Anything Powell does is worth reading.

among736
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2017, 02:24:43 PM »

Alllllllll over this one.  I'll submit my preorder as soon as it hits Comixology.

Andy
among736
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #97 on: July 18, 2017, 09:22:35 AM »

I haven't read the BIG TROUBLE comics yet, but I picked up the first few trades, which were written by Eric Powell, who does THE GOON. Anything Powell does is worth reading.

Smokes.  I tried volume one and made it about fifteen pages before shutting it down.  In it, the monster hanging off the truck at the end of the movie ends up getting into the semi and, instead of mauling Burton to death, licks him and essentially becomes his pet/friend.  Later Burton dresses him up Ninja-Turtle style so they can walk around in public together.  Embarrassing.  Perhaps it gets better, but I won't be finding out.

Andy
among736
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #98 on: July 31, 2017, 08:29:30 AM »

Took a flyer on Alex + Ada over the weekend, and I'm glad I did.  Story revolves around a time in the future when humans can purchase life-like robots to be their partners, housekeepers, coaches, etc.  Depressed Alex lives a life sheltered from the rest of the world, so his grandmother purchases a robot for him.  Not liking the idea of it, he gets ready to send her back, then changes his mind at the last minute.

Behind the scenes we get snippets of some problems with robots gaining sentience, one of which went on a killing spree.  As a result, the government creates a series of regulations aimed at preventing a similar situation, which doesn't stop hackers from trying to "free" their robots and give them a semblance of humanity.

This may devolve into a romance between Alex and Ada at some point, but I think the continued foreshadowing of a cell of people giving "life" to their robots and the ensuing government crackdown will mean this drama will still have plenty to offer.  I'm almost done with volume 2, at which point I'll have to spring for future volumes (the first two were included with Comixology Unlimited).  I'll definitely keep going for now.

Andy
dannyboy121070
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #99 on: July 31, 2017, 11:18:43 AM »

I thought ALEX + ADA was phenomenal. I think you'll find it worth paying for, Andy.

among736
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #100 on: July 31, 2017, 12:35:13 PM »

Well hell....I misread the series info.  I didn't realize there were only three volumes, so it won't be expensive to carry on.  Comixology doesn't do a good job of segregating volumes from single issues when you first pull up a title (you can see a segregated view if you dig deeper), so I thought there were at least 8 volumes!  Oops.

Regardless, I agree with you, Danny...excellent series so far.

Andy
among736
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #101 on: August 14, 2017, 09:07:50 AM »

Finished Alex + Ada over the weekend, and loved it.  I admit to being a little worried when I was an issue and a half from the end, thinking there was no way the series could be satisfactorily wrapped up.  Surprise...I was wrong.  Yet another fine example of a series telling its story and pulling the plug before it gets watered down (a la The Fade Out, which I read earlier in the year).

On the other end of the spectrum, I read a five-issue series called Ex-Con, which was a complete and utter disaster.  Kind of surprising because it had names like Swierczynski, Bradstreet, and Burns associated with it, but the story was just a mess.  Stay far away.

Just started volume one of Jessica Jones: Alias (a Marvel MAX series...sweeeet), and I'm enjoying it.  I've never read (or watched) the Jones character, so I'm going in a virgin.

Andy
among736
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2017, 12:15:45 PM »

Made it about 2/3 of the way through volume 1 of Jessica Jones: Alias and threw in the towel.  After a promising start it just didn't seem to be going anywhere.  Oh well.

Just started Cullen Bunn and Brian Hurtt's The Sixth Gun, which I'm digging so far.  Kind of a weird western meets ancient evil, all with a Lord of the Rings vibe as the bad guy is looking for his six-shooter to regain his full power.  This wouldn't normally be something I'd try, but I'm glad I did.

Andy
The Doctor
Triple Feature

View Profile Email
« Reply #103 on: August 21, 2017, 12:54:20 PM »

I read three volumes of Rat Queens last week. I don't think it has quite fulfilled its potential, but I enjoyed the way it poked fun at certain fantasy/D&D tropes. I think I'll keep following it.

I recommend... amputation!
among736
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #104 on: August 24, 2017, 08:26:36 AM »

I read three volumes of Rat Queens last week. I don't think it has quite fulfilled its potential, but I enjoyed the way it poked fun at certain fantasy/D&D tropes. I think I'll keep following it.

Oooh....that one sounds fun.  I've got it downloaded.  Thanks, Doc!

I've had some fun trying a variety of comics this past week.

I finished The Sixth Gun by Cullen Bunn and Brian Hurtt, and really enjoyed it.  Not typically my kind of thing, but it was pretty much nonstop action and a fun storyline. I'll definitely be continuing.

Marvel Unlimited has recently been adding batches of a 1950's comic called Journey Into Mystery.  Each issue contains a short story, along with a half-dozen or so short comics.  *Tons* of fun going through these Twilight Zone-esque tales.

I've also been catching up on some of the new Star Wars series.  I've said it before and I'll say it again: the first Darth Vader run (2015, I want to say...it was 25 issues long) is a *fantastic* story.  It's probably what *should* be used for a new Star Wars storyline; it's that good.  The story takes place between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, and focuses on Vader's fall from grace with the Emperor after the destruction of the Death Star and his attempts to regain his position as second-in-command.  It introduces a couple of new players, including Dr. Aphra and her two psychopathic droids (think C3PO and R2D2 as bloodthirsty killers).  It buries the ongoing Star Wars run written by Jason Aaron (which is also good, but not in the same ballpark as Vader).

Last night I also downloaded the full series of Girls by the Luna Brothers. I loved Alex + Ada so much that I had to go back to the well for more. Only one issue in, but it's good so far.

Andy
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length