Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register

+  The Horror Drive-In
|-+  Horror Drive-In
| |-+  Drive In Theater By Night (Moderators: among736, RonClinton)
| | |-+  Keeping books for nostalgia value...bad idea?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Keeping books for nostalgia value...bad idea?  (Read 530 times)
Sigrud
Triple Feature

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 06:48:12 PM »

I got rid of pretty much all limited editions. No interest really in keeping them. Only books I won't sell off are those I love. Otherwise they are gone. It's quite liberating.
RonClinton
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 07:36:19 PM »

first world problems, man. Lol

Ah, jeez...whoops.  Sad
MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2017, 10:38:21 AM »

I've gotten rid of a lot lately. And I've kept a crapload. Yes, many of them are for reasons of nostalgia.
RyanCThomas
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2017, 12:50:07 PM »

I keep many to lend out, and many I'm hoping my son will read as he gets older. But I also have the mentality of "If I'm not ever going to read this again then I don't really need it." That being said, I still need a copy of The Folks 2.

sidpcobain
Dead By Dawn

Mya kittie

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2017, 10:15:32 PM »

I almost never let go of a book. As you might guess, I'm drowning in the suckers. But it pleases me to have a for-real library of my own, albeit a selective one. Huh Roll Eyes

I reject your reality, a substitute my own.
tyree
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2017, 12:24:27 PM »

My collection has been in need of a serious enema for 10 years. And I have some sweet items, too.
But. Going the Ebay route trying to box shit up in a study that is as packed as club hosting an impromtu ( insert popular make-up wearing pop star--I know none ) gig is just too depressing.
I have nobody in my family who would enjoy them except maybe my new grandson but after seeing that thing and trying to drop kick it back up the hellhole it came from...

My thought now is getting a hold of Ed at Book Carnival ( course they are probably no longer in Tustin and are out of buisness) or that one book store in Burbank...?
Renting a u-haul and driving all my books down there and wait while they wade through them and take the first price they offer.
RonClinton
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2017, 10:52:07 AM »

Will need to do some purging this weekend, but still have no idea what I'm going to do.  I've already weakened too much on my Garton-en-masse purge to have it at all likely anymore, so I'll have to just pick and choose books here and there -- ala death by a thousand cuts -- to make room.  

Cheaper to do that, I suppose, than endure the construction costs of expanding my office to allow yet more bookcases...cheaper, though not nearly as satisfying.  Sad

StevenSavile
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2017, 03:36:43 PM »

For what it's worth, here's what I did.

I've mentioned elsewhere I threw loads of limited editions in a skip. Thousands of dollars of spend in that crazy period where it felt like I bought anything because it was the done thing to buy it. Then, when one of our friends was taken prisoner in Ethiopia and held as a spy on grounds of treason, I ended up shipping about 4,000-5,000 of my books there as he and his partner were looking at lifetime in prison there (without the intervention of Carl Bildt and a leniency negotiated between governments). That meant I was Down to maybe 400-500 books. I'd thought at the time they were books i was close to or cared about. The reality was different. SO a lot of those went to charity here. Then I set about buying first edition hardcovers of books that meant something to me, stuff I'd read in the library and loved, or had read in paperback when I was young. Over the last 18 months I've probably amassed about 400-500 again, but the difference is that every single book on the shelf is a time capsule that contains something I truly loved at the time I read it. There isn't a book on the shelf that's unread. There isn't a book on the shelf I wouldn't immediately recommend to a visitor to my study as something they had to read...

Now, I love my book collection like I've never loved it before, because there isn't a single dud. Every single one is this powerful emotional connection to a younger reader - whether it be Elidor, one of the first books I loved as an 8 year old, or Last of the Savages, one of the first books I loved when I emigrated... etc

So, in your place, i'd separate the read from the unread, the enjoyed from the loved, not think about what I'd be likely to re-read, but what I think best represents me, my essence, distilled into a manageable collection of pages, and purely keep the favourites, the much loved. No room for the unloved, the mediocre, the ah yeah, maybe his first book was better... and no room for completism either...
MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2017, 12:29:24 PM »

God, those days. Those days, when we bought so much at Shocklines. It was like a fever. Buying limited editions of books that in some cases weren't even worthy of publication. I've dumped dozens of them. I sold some, donated some, gave some away. Tossed some in the trash can. I hated the latter, but I had to make room and clear out a ton of stuff, and I didn't have time for a lot of BS.

I am still buying books. I want nice editions of the ones that made me a fan. Classics by Thomas Tessier, Ramsey Campbell, James Herbert, Thomas F. Moneteleone, etc. Of course I have new books. Some will remain in my collection and on my shelves. Some will not.
RonClinton
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2017, 12:38:23 PM »

So, in your place, i'd separate the read from the unread, the enjoyed from the loved, not think about what I'd be likely to re-read, but what I think best represents me, my essence, distilled into a manageable collection of pages, and purely keep the favourites, the much loved. No room for the unloved, the mediocre, the ah yeah, maybe his first book was better... and no room for completism either...

All good advice -- thanks, Steve.  If I wasn't batting a bit of a cold and had more enthusiasm for starting the project today, I'd start trying to institute your advice shortly...but it may wait for another day.  Good food for thought, though...appreciate it.
StevenSavile
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2017, 06:11:15 PM »

Mark, that's exactly it, mate. There are books that made us fans. Those are the ones that still own our hearts.

My book collection now, I can't explain it beyond saying it is ultimately personal, and I love it. It's the best book collection I've ever had, third time of asking, because every single book means something.

Ron, get well amigo.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length