Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register

+  The Horror Drive-In
|-+  Horror Drive-In
| |-+  Drive In Theater By Night (Moderators: among736, RonClinton)
| | |-+  Parallel Lines by Steve Savile
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Parallel Lines by Steve Savile  (Read 501 times)
among736
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« on: March 16, 2017, 10:31:02 AM »

Well, I'll be damned....

Just got a newsletter from Titan Books stating that our own Steve Savile's Parallel Lines has been released.  Why is this a big deal?  Well, many moons ago, Steve had been working on this story.  I don't even remember at this point how I would have read an excerpt.  On his website?  In a newsletter?   Regardless, what I read was pretty damned good and left me wanting for more.....and then the project just went away.  I've asked Steve about it a couple times over the years, and while he sounded hopeful it would eventually see the light of day, it never happened.

Until now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EQ2O3DC/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

I'm finishing up McCammon's Mister Slaughter right now, and then I'm all over Parallel Lines.  I'll let you folks know how it goes.

Andy
among736
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 10:35:50 AM »

Damn, here's a post I made 8 years ago!  Happy to see that Steve took the time to rewrite it after losing such a huge chunk of work.

http://horrordrive-in.com/smf/index.php?topic=6314.0

Andy
wcr01gsr
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 11:53:55 AM »

Sounds interesting...let us know when you're done!
RonClinton
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 12:12:51 PM »

Maybe Steve'll pop in and give us the backstage scoop.
StevenSavile
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 03:19:47 PM »

Hah that was unexpected.

Yeah... this book... took... time. And time.

The full story, I guess, goes back to around 2002... I remember sending HOKE a chunk, Andy, a few others... I had this idea... I think I wrote about 20k. But I was unhappy with it as the heart was missing. Then my father in law was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) and there was this weird period between 02 and maybe 07 watching him get worse. Initially little things like trying to get out of a chair or cut food on a plate. But he was still him, just getting more frustrated with his body. I remember us having a meal one day and I noticed the more frustrated he grew the more the disease robbed him of control, the stress exacerbating the shakes and the twitches. And the thought came into my head, man... if he was robbing a bank he'd end up shooting someone even if he didn't want to. And all of a sudden the novel was there.

Then as that ancient post (eight years... crap that's a long time) says I sat and rewrote a chunk with the new main character and worked HARD at really making it sharp, clever, ironic.. and lost it all. I didn't think I'd ever go back to it, to be honest, but about three years ago I was in London walking with one of my oldest friends and she (the complete swine) says 'Okay, you're a storyteller, tell me a story for once, something no one's heard' and for some really weird reason I started to tell the story of Parallel Lines, despite not actually having the second or third acts... still I'm telling it, and in the telling the gun goes of, and the guy instead of this long protracted we have to help him, he's dying, he needs medical assistance... dies. And I look at my friend Jane and just say holy shit, I know why I could never write this story... it's because it was never about the heist, it was always about how the guy pulling the trigger gets away with murder.

And about two weeks later I was back in Sweden, watching the football, and I decided screw it I'm writing the two page pitch and sending it to my editor at Titan. I wrote it between midnight and three in the morning. I woke up to an email about five hours later saying I want to buy it. It's the fastest novel sale of my career... and the slowest... 15 years from first idea and first word written to publication... or about five hours from pitch to sale...

It looks... very optimistically... tentatively... don't want to jinx it... but one of the biggest crime show production companies are negotiating for tv rights... and when I say biggest, I reckon at least one of their shows changed the way crime shows worked forever...
StevenSavile
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 03:24:05 PM »

And I shared that yellow (not green) cover on my newsletter last week...

It was done by Robert Sammelin.

By the way, without that conversation, the 50k from before referenced in the 2009 post... were very different in how things played.

I actually think a lot of folks will dig it - especially those who like Donald Westlake. We sent out loads of arcs to writers, and everyone from Stephen Gallagher, Boris Starling, CJ Lyons, Karen Dionne, etc all said 'man, this is like rediscovering a lost Westlake...' which is high praise, I think.
dannyboy121070
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 06:36:37 AM »

This sounds great, Steve. I'm glad it all worked out.
I'm in for a copy!

among736
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 01:51:44 PM »

Thanks for the lengthy background, Steve, as well as for taking the time to continue working on a novel that had such a tumultuous life cycle.  I'm a few chapters in and thoroughly enjoying it to this point!

Andy
StevenSavile
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 06:08:47 PM »

Cheers guys - had the fun of opening EMPIRE the movie magazine today and seeing a full page (inside back cover) advert for the book... that was quite the moment...
goathunter
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 12:12:57 AM »

Cool! Congratulations!

Hunter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length