Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register

+  The Horror Drive-In
|-+  Horror Drive-In
| |-+  Broken Speaker (Moderator: RonClinton)
| | |-+  Bought my first two vinyl LPs in over 30 years last week.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Bought my first two vinyl LPs in over 30 years last week.  (Read 520 times)
jimallcorn
Triple Feature

View Profile Email
« on: January 18, 2017, 05:56:54 PM »

Mark - You convinced me to give vinyl ( another ) try two or three years ago buddy, but I procrastinated until last week when I finally got off my ass & bought two albums. The first two that I've purchased in well over 30 years.
And, I don't even have a player for them yet. LOL.
In order to listen to them I'm going to have to borrow my son's player that he got for x-mas a couple of weeks ago. I can't wait.
For my two purchases, I chose the first two albums of my favorite band Thirty Seconds To Mars.
Luckily, unlike so many other people I know, I never got rid of my old vinyl when I   switched to CDs back in the early 90s. So, I've still got a pretty nice collection to work with & add to.

Peace. And thanks for giving me the "push" I needed to get back into vinyl.

- Jim
wolfnoma
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 06:16:15 PM »

Jim, enjoy the trip to the past. They (Vinyls) are amazing. Especially after years of listening to MP3's. You will surely enjoy them. I can't wait to hear what you have to say after you've listened to them.
MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 04:36:43 AM »

Your bank account will be groaning, but your ears will be happy. Welcome aboard!
jimallcorn
Triple Feature

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 09:30:37 PM »

Finally purchased a turntable for my records, it'll be here tomorrow.
I'm pretty excited about it as I've been discussing doing so with Mark here for about three years or so.
It's not quite the model that I'd wanted & it's used rather than brand new, but that's cool. I got it for just under $50.00, which allowed me to buy it now rather than waiting until next month. So, I'm happy.
Now, I can't wait to hear how it sounds!
wolfnoma
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 06:11:59 AM »

Listening to Springsteen's "Nebraska" on vinyl now.

Just ordered Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" 180 gram reissue, Charles Mingus "AH Uhm", Dave Brubecks "Time Out" and Orrnete Coleman's "The Shape of Jazz to Come".

So basically I ordered the home run of 1959 Jazz albums. Can't wait to listen to them.
MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 09:14:26 AM »

I upgraded my receiver with my tax return money.
wolfnoma
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 04:36:34 PM »

Nice Mark. I'm getting a gently used receiver for my system. Currently I'm using an old amplifier that has a bad volume potentiometer.
jimallcorn
Triple Feature

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 09:28:28 PM »

Well, so much for THAT one.
Received my turntable this afternoon, but my excitement turned to disappointment when I put a record on & heard the motor running, but the turntable wouldn't move. That's when I saw that the belt that drives it was loose & rattling around underneath. Probably an easy fix is I knew what I was doing, but being mechanically DE-clined, I had no clue.
So, I had to print off a label & return it via UPS.
The good news being that Amazon refunded my account within an hour or so of me dropping it off for pick up. So, I went ahead & ordered a new, different brand/model. Even upgraded a bit to one on sale for $69.99.
Still, a lower end one I know, but at the moment funds are tight & I'm just dipping my toes in to see how I like it.
Hopefully, come Tuesday when it arrives, it'll be fully operational & I'll enjoy how it sounds.
tyree
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 07:39:57 AM »

How does HOME, STREET, HOME sound on that bad boy, Mark ?
Man, what an addictive musical ! The more I listen the more I love.
Best album I've bought in ages. And dirty ? Whoah ! " Gutter Tarts"..."Safe Words" ?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length