Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register

+  The Horror Drive-In
|-+  Horror Drive-In
| |-+  Drive In Theater By Night (Moderators: among736, RonClinton)
| | |-+  Mini-reviews for The Devil's Candy, The Belko Experiment, and Raw
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mini-reviews for The Devil's Candy, The Belko Experiment, and Raw  (Read 338 times)
Shocklines.com
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« on: March 20, 2017, 06:49:45 AM »

A trio of recommended horror films are out there:

RAW: The French cannibalism drama Raw is a very interesting debut feature. It's beautifully shot and scored and has a ton of great moments. That said, I don't think it's as deep as it thinks it is. It has neither the believable sister bond of Ginger Snaps nor the biting social commentary of Teeth. But it's never dull and well-acted and recommended for a cold but interesting coming-of-age horrorfest. I give it a B.

THE DEVIL'S CANDY: Does "The Devil's Candy," finally playing in theaters at midnight, live up to the hype? Pretty close. It's easy to see why reviews have been so positive. It's a supernaturally-tinged heavy metal take on Cape Fear (with a hint of The Shining) and while the story is super simple, the characters, the actors and the direction and cinematography are all great. Genuinely suspenseful and nasty without being mean. I give it a B+.

THE BELKO EXPERIMENT: What's fascinating about "The Belko Experiment" -- which is effectively "The Office" meets "Battle Royale" -- is that it's written by James Gunn, since this movie has the intelligence, but not the humor, of his films like Slither and Guardians of the Galaxy. The movie plays it straight, and opts for believable characters that you want to get to know better. It actually all plays out fairly realistically. The problem is that the film is simply too ambitious for 90 minutes, not giving you time to get to know the characters well enough, nor does it have time to play off the ideas of incorporating office politics into a panic scenario. Still, the film is easy to recommend -- I give it a very solid B, with a terrific cast of character actors. I just wonder if instead of a very good film, it could have been a revolutionary miniseries if it had more room to breathe.
njhorror
Love Bomb
Dead By Dawn

Dark Shadow

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 07:56:30 AM »

Thanks, Matt.

Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses?
tyree
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 05:17:19 PM »

Matt, Steve ma brothas !

OK Matt you rascal, just watched two of those.

RAW. Totally agree tho the very ending was very sisterlike. I had a problem the wrecks.
Fucking hell, right. Jump out in front, lay down and the cars, even skateboard euro ones, wouldn't kill anyone let alone hit perfectly into a tree when they swerve to avoid a human. Guess a girl's gotta eat but come on. Someone runs in front me n lays down ? Human speed bump.
Other that that ? I dug it and would rec. it. Lotta sex, lip-munchage and btw, wtf was a morgue doing at a vet college ? B-

BELKO. Flat out rocked ! Period. A ton of mindless massace. I have not seen office carnage like that since Korea's A COMAPANY MAN.
I agree with the mini-series route, Matt.
A- mainly cuz it made the wife laugh.

I have THE DEVIL'S CANDY on a disc right now. Try and watch it tonight.

Layta !
Shocklines.com
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 06:46:51 PM »

Nice! I dug Devil's Candy for what it was. Let me know what you think.
JeffStrand
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 06:09:14 PM »

I really enjoyed The Belko Experiment, but (SPOILER!!!) it never tackled the issue of "What happens when you finally have to turn on your allies to stay alive?" Instead, it was always the "good" guys versus the "bad" guys.

Of course, my disappointment with that aspect was more than balanced out by the scene where the people in charge of the game prove that the stated consequences were not a bluff...
Shocklines.com
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 06:48:42 AM »

I felt the same way Jeff. I just thought it bit off more than it could chew in 90 minutes.
tyree
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 05:56:49 PM »

DEVIL'S CANDY.

Simple, basic script made good by a likable cast.
But the scene---\\\\SPOILER !

...the scene where the artist who was a dead ringer for Christ, in a driven mode of inspiration, taking an evil course for his new paradigm steered by satan...
...paints an upside down cross then rapidly blinks, tiltes his locks to the side staring, thinging, like, wait...that isn't
quite
 right.
That was just...wrong... Roll Eyes

I did enjoy it. The teen girl with her new Flying V was funny. Least she hollered out to a make believe Austin club !  Wink
BrianKeene1
Triple Feature

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 03:49:00 AM »

Mary said the same thing about BELKO when we watched it Tuesday night. Would have made a great mini-series. Very much enjoyed it, regardless, but yeah, would have loved to have felt those characters a bit more.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length