Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register

+  The Horror Drive-In
|-+  Horror Drive-In
| |-+  Drive In Theater By Night (Moderators: among736, RonClinton)
| | |-+  Robert Bloch Centennial celebration...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Robert Bloch Centennial celebration...  (Read 467 times)
RonClinton
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2017, 07:51:10 AM »

Robert Bloch was born on April 5th, 1917, and thus the 100th anniversary approaches.

If ever was ever an apt time for remembrance, this would seem to be it.  I picked up a used-but-only-slightly-abused pb of LADIES DAY / THIS CROWDED EARTH at a used bookstore a short while back, and plan to read one of the two novellas within.

Anyone else have similar plans to honor one of our genre's arguably best writers?
BrianKeene1
Triple Feature

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 09:09:24 AM »

Yep. We're hoping to air tributes and remembrances from folks who knew him on the podcast. Working on that behind the scenes.
RonClinton
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 09:46:05 AM »

Yep. We're hoping to air tributes and remembrances from folks who knew him on the podcast. Working on that behind the scenes.

Sounds wonderful, Brian...can't wait to hear it.
JReitan47
Four Movie Freak

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 10:09:59 AM »

Thanks for the reminder! A great excuse to reread some of my old Bloch paperbacks and maybe even ONCE AROUND THE BLOCH. Bloch is my favorite writer next to King.

Jonathan Reitan
JReitan47
Four Movie Freak

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 10:10:55 AM »

Now this I VERY much look forward to!!

Jonathan Reitan
MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 04:22:02 PM »

While I love Bloch more than most writers I have read in my life, I doubt that I will alter my current reading schedule for this. I do intend, however, to reread more of his stuff in the next year or two.
BrianKeene1
Triple Feature

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 10:52:12 AM »

Just an update on this -- Thursday night's show (4/6/17) will be a special centennial celebration. We're going to dispense with the news and the usual format and instead talk Robert Bloch. We also have some great remembrances from Stephen King, David J. Schow, Wayne Allen Sallee, Tom Monteleone, Del Howison, F. Paul Wilson, and Chet Williamson, all of whom were kind enough to contribute something.

Hope y'all enjoy it.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 06:09:59 PM by BrianKeene1 » Logged
Randy M.
Four Movie Freak

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 11:02:02 AM »

Robert Bloch was born on April 5th, 1917, and thus the 100th anniversary approaches.

If ever was ever an apt time for remembrance, this would seem to be it.  I picked up a used-but-only-slightly-abused pb of LADIES DAY / THIS CROWDED EARTH at a used bookstore a short while back, and plan to read one of the two novellas within.

Anyone else have similar plans to honor one of our genre's arguably best writers?

I didn't since I didn't realize it was his centennial but now I might pull out The Early Fears and re-read some old favorites.

Randy M.
LincolnB
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 02:31:22 PM »

Forgive my ignorance - but which podcast are you guys talking about? Would love to tune in for this.
RonClinton
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 03:12:52 PM »

Forgive my ignorance - but which podcast are you guys talking about? Would love to tune in for this.

http://www.thehorrorshowwithbriankeene.com/
LincolnB
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 03:36:28 PM »

Thanks Ron
BrianKeene1
Triple Feature

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 03:55:30 PM »

Thanks Ron

Lincoln -- if you're interested, when Jack Ketchum was on the show, he talked quite a bit about having Bloch as a mentor. If you go to the archives http://www.thehorrorshowwithbriankeene.com/?page_id=6 and scroll down to Episode 67, it's during that episode (I don't know at what time stamp though).
LincolnB
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 05:33:45 PM »

Cool, thanks Brian. Will check that out, as well.
goathunter
Four Movie Freak

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 04:52:40 AM »

David J. Schow posted this on Facebook this morning. I thought it appropriate to repost it here.

BLOCHCENTENNIAL!

That's right, it's ROBERT BLOCH's 100th birthday!

Whip out a Bloch book, a Bloch movie, some Bloch TV, and hoist a toast in irascible Blochian fashion!

Hunter
BrianKeene1
Triple Feature

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 03:45:02 PM »

And here ya go, guys. (The link below will allow you to listen on your computer. It's also avail on iTunes and everywhere else):

'ROBERT BLOCH CENTENNIAL -The Horror Show with Brian Keene - Ep 110

Stephen King, Jack Ketchum, F. Paul Wilson, David J. Schow, John Skipp, Tom Monteleone, Wayne Allen Sallee, Chet Williamson, Cathy Gonzalez, and Del Howison share personal memories and anecdotes of Robert Bloch with Brian and Dave on the 100th anniversary of the horror masterís birth.

http://thehorrorshowbk.projectentertainment.libsynpro.com/robert-bloch-the-horror-show-with-brian-keene-ep-110

Listen for free!'
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length