Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register

+  The Horror Drive-In
|-+  Horror Drive-In
| |-+  Drive In Theater By Night (Moderators: among736, RonClinton)
| | |-+  Robert Bloch Centennial celebration...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Robert Bloch Centennial celebration...  (Read 948 times)
wolfnoma
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2017, 11:38:59 AM »

And here ya go, guys. (The link below will allow you to listen on your computer. It's also avail on iTunes and everywhere else):

'ROBERT BLOCH CENTENNIAL -The Horror Show with Brian Keene - Ep 110

Stephen King, Jack Ketchum, F. Paul Wilson, David J. Schow, John Skipp, Tom Monteleone, Wayne Allen Sallee, Chet Williamson, Cathy Gonzalez, and Del Howison share personal memories and anecdotes of Robert Bloch with Brian and Dave on the 100th anniversary of the horror masterís birth.

http://thehorrorshowbk.projectentertainment.libsynpro.com/robert-bloch-the-horror-show-with-brian-keene-ep-110

Listen for free!'

City just upgraded all the computers and servers, I am now able to listen to the madness of your podcasts while playing with trains.

PS. B, you do adequate work for a washed up old sailor!  Huh
Nicole Cushing
Four Movie Freak

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2017, 04:56:45 AM »

My first experience with Bloch was probably the Tales from the Darkside adaptation of his story "A Case of the Stubborns". (In which a pre-Star Trek Brent Spiner plays a Southern preacher and a very young Christian Slater plays the young protagonist.)

That episode is memorable to me because I watched it with my father, late on a Saturday night. I can remember my dad getting a real kick out of it. It's a memory of him that I treasure. (And I also vaguely remember my mom walking out to the living room and being upset that I was watching horror. She was like that. I was lucky she was too drowsy to do anything about it.)

I've read Psycho and several of Bloch's short stories (including the source material for the Tales episode). But I think I most enjoy Bloch's work as a screenwriter for Amicus, where his blend of violence and macabre (if sometimes cheesy) humor really sang. (Love me some House That Dripped Blood.)

There's also an obscure Bloch film called The Psychopath that's worth checking out. (I don't think it's available on streaming, DVD, or BluRay, but someone has posted it on YouTube.) That film has one of the nastiest twist endings I've seen, and I didn't see it coming.

Sorry to go on and on about him, but one last thing.

I love that he was originally mentored and influenced by Lovecraft, but that he made a radical departure from that influence and found his own voice. Ideally, I think, that's how it should work. No writer should get trapped in the amber of another writer's imagination.

RonClinton
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2017, 09:11:39 AM »

I love that he was originally mentored and influenced by Lovecraft, but that he made a radical departure from that influence and found his own voice. Ideally, I think, that's how it should work. No writer should get trapped in the amber of another writer's imagination.

I've always admired that as well.  After a short stint where Bloch's work echoed his mentor, the two could not be more unalike in voice and style, and yet that early relationship set the foundation of Bloch's long career.  I think that alone says a lot about Bloch's talent.
BrianKeene1
Triple Feature

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2017, 04:14:53 PM »

Absolutely agree. 100%.

I'm constantly blown away by just how small and interconnected this industry is. Bloch was mentored by Lovecraft. Bloch, in turn, mentored Ketchum, Schow, and so many others, who in turn have mentored so many of us, and now we're doing the same. We're all just one or two degrees separate from Lovecraft himself.
RonClinton
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2017, 08:57:38 AM »

Finally had a chance to listen to it, Brian -- very nice job.  Thanks for an entertaining and heartfelt tribute.
njhorror
Love Bomb
Dead By Dawn

Dark Shadow

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2017, 10:17:37 AM »

And here ya go, guys. (The link below will allow you to listen on your computer. It's also avail on iTunes and everywhere else):

'ROBERT BLOCH CENTENNIAL -The Horror Show with Brian Keene - Ep 110

Stephen King, Jack Ketchum, F. Paul Wilson, David J. Schow, John Skipp, Tom Monteleone, Wayne Allen Sallee, Chet Williamson, Cathy Gonzalez, and Del Howison share personal memories and anecdotes of Robert Bloch with Brian and Dave on the 100th anniversary of the horror masterís birth.

http://thehorrorshowbk.projectentertainment.libsynpro.com/robert-bloch-the-horror-show-with-brian-keene-ep-110

Listen for free!'

Going to listen to it on my way up to North Jersey this evening and the rest on the way back. I love Bloch. What a nice treat.

Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses?
njhorror
Love Bomb
Dead By Dawn

Dark Shadow

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2017, 09:18:03 AM »

Great show. The Jesus Gonzalez stories had me laughing out loud, and the contribution from Wayne Allen Sallee was epic. Nice job.

Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses?
BrianKeene1
Triple Feature

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2017, 06:24:02 PM »

Thanks, man!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length