Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register

+  The Horror Drive-In
|-+  Horror Drive-In
| |-+  Drive In Theater By Night (Moderators: among736, RonClinton)
| | |-+  MST3K: The New Season
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: MST3K: The New Season  (Read 364 times)
MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2017, 10:19:19 AM »

It's here upon us. The new show officially starts streaming from Netflix later this month, but I am watching the first show tonight. I already saw some of the opening stuff. So far it's pretty painful to see Felicia Day, Patton Oswalt, and Jonah Ray mugging and overacting. I know that the old guys mugged and overacted too, but they did it with charm, charisma, and grace. But then it did take me a while to warm up to The Mads. Maybe this new stuff will grow on me.

More to come later.
markgunnells
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 01:00:30 PM »

I can't wait to see the new show. I've been watching a lot of old episodes lately to get in the mood.
MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 02:30:57 PM »

I'm actually tempted to not even watch it. We're so damned busy. Running here and there, working on our houses, spending time with the kids. When we do have a spare hour or two, we generally like to read. We're going to do it, though, popcorn and all. After all, I paid for this privilege. And it has to be today, or wait for Netflix to run it.
MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 03:29:03 PM »

Lemongrass tea? Check.

Buttered popcorn? Check.

Blueberry fruitsicles? Check.

It's showtime!
MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 05:14:02 PM »

Okay, I liked it. The new Mads are hard to take, and the new voices of Crow and Servo are going to take some getting used to, but Jonah Ray did a pretty good job as the new test case. The movie is one that I had seen before, and it is a natural for the show. All things considered, I'd say that it's a success.
MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 03:42:29 AM »

As others have said, the show is different, but oddly the same. It felt like a classic episode. Jonah has more of a Joel vibe than of Mike, to me. We may actually have to sign up for Netflix just for this.
markgunnells
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 02:00:03 PM »

I always liked Joel and Mike equally, but I do miss the Joel vibe so I'm looking forward to it.
MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 02:14:31 PM »

They do a cool song that really reminds me of the Joel of old.

Sure, I'd love to see Joel don the jumpsuit again, but I think it was probably the right decision to bring Jonah on.
MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 03:35:08 PM »

Don't you just love "fans"? Joel asked, nicely, that the Kickstarter backers do not share details, screen shots, etc, from the premier. Of course people are doing it anyway. Assholes.
JeffStrand
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 01:47:55 PM »

I've watched the whole first episode and about twenty minutes of the second one.

I never really liked the non-movie bits of MST3K, so I thought the new series would be an improvement, since Jonah Ray and Patton Oswalt are hilarious. I thought it was about the same, though the monster song was great.

I don't mind the different voices, though it's strange that they didn't try to get somebody even CLOSE to Tom Servo. The new cast doesn't have the ability of the original MST3K crew to make this all sound ad-libbed, though it's better than CINEMATIC TITANIC.

I think the hit-to-miss ratio of jokes is quite a bit lower than the original show, though the speed of jokes is faster than MST3K or Rifftrax. It's not as funny as I would've hoped, but not every episode of MST3K was MANOS: THE HANDS OF FATE.

I'm not a fan of the Netflix model of releasing an entire season at once, since I'm not a binge-watcher and it means that great shows like ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK are spoiled for me before I can watch the episodes at a reasonable pace. But with something like MST3K, I love that I've got 14 new episodes to watch whenever I'm in the mood.

My early assessment: Though it's not at the level of the original, it's still a great show!

RyanCThomas
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 04:47:48 PM »

Watched the first episode last night. I give it a B- so far. Jonah is fine, but the jokes I laughed at were far fewer than the ones I just felt nothing for. And the pace of the jokes is a bit ADD for me. They were many times I felt they were just talking over one another, and rushing to get out a 100-word joke instead of just rewriting or skipping the joke altogether. Also not a fan of the new Dr Forester offspring; I just don't buy the actress. BUT...taking over for the Joel/Mike years is a tall order, and I'd still call this a success because there WERE several laugh-out-loud moments. I am hoping it finds its legs as I watch more episodes.

Nicole Cushing
Four Movie Freak

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 10:19:48 PM »

The pros: I liked the performances of Jonah, the new mads, and the puppeteers.

The cons: The writing SUCKS. This show includes some of the most awkward and unfunny riffs I've ever heard. (Some so terrible they deserve riffs of their own.) I know the original MST3K was a bit hit or miss. (As someone else has already said, they weren't all as good as MANOS.) But man, this was just agonizing to sit through (and not in a good way). By halfway through CRY WILDERNESS, I'd pretty much mentally checked out and was just watching to humor my husband (who somewhat enjoyed it).

I've been an MST3K fan since 1992 (when I watched my first episode with some friends in their dorm room). But the humor isn't the same sort of clever, wickedly sarcastic stuff from those days. Wish I could rate this better, but gotta give it a lowly two stars.
JeffStrand
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 07:28:56 AM »

An hour into the second episode, and I think it's MUCH funnier than the first. This is as good as the original series. 
markgunnells
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 02:00:22 PM »

Just getting to start. So far I'm loving it. The opening brought me a lot of joy, and I'm laughing at the riffs. As for the non-movie watching parts...I must admit, I've NEVER enjoyed them so much. I skip them.
MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2017, 03:14:41 PM »

I came to love the host segments more than even the movies. Up until the Sci Fi Channel years. That was painful.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length