Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register

+  The Horror Drive-In
|-+  Horror Drive-In
| |-+  Drive In Theater By Night (Moderators: among736, RonClinton)
| | |-+  How on EARTH did I miss this?!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How on EARTH did I miss this?!  (Read 464 times)
among736
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« on: April 10, 2017, 11:13:09 AM »

I ran to a nearby B&N over lunch, looking for the elusive March/April 2017 issue of Ellery Queen that I want (they still didn't have it).  I asked a clerk, and she didn't see any shipments of the magazine to their store since December.  Disheartened, I started walking away and she called me back, telling me I should check a store down the road called Once Upon a Crime. She said they specialize in mysteries, pulps, noir, etc.  Curiosity piqued, I made the drive...

...and Good Lord in Heaven, what a place!  It's in the basement of a building and not very big, but it's a dream for someone who likes this kind of stuff.  I didn't have much time, but I grabbed a couple books (attached below) and looked over some of the rare stuff (they had a slipcased set of first edition paperbacks from the 87th Precinct novels, all signed by McBain, for $750. Seems like a huge price tag, but they sure were fun to look at!).

Anyway, just had to share.  The bookseller said they've been there for 30 years.  I'm not sure how I missed this gem all these years, but I can promise you I'll be back when I have more time to browse (including the super-secret cellar with the really rare/pricey stuff).

The Storefront:

My purchases:

(Love me some McBain, and the other one is by a local author who's been making some waves.)

Andy

p.s. And I still haven't found that damned issue of Ellery Queen!
RonClinton
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 11:58:01 AM »

Pretty exciting, Andy -- enjoy exploring your new discovery!

We have a similar store specialized niche store here -- Seattle Mystery Bookshop -- and it's always great fun to browse there.  It's in downtown Seattle, which means dealing with limited, expensive parking, street corner drug use, aggressive and often mentally impaired panhandlers, crime, an exploding homeless population, and all the other liberal elements that have made Gov. Inslee and Mayor Murray's Seattle a sociocultural jumble of progressive madness...which also means I don't get down there much.

Not sure how much longer SMB is going to be able to stay around.  They were initially in a smaller location, then moved about a decade ago to a shop next door to that location that was twice as large...then they began to hit hard times a few years ago, held a crowdfunding campaign about a year ago to stay afloat, then moved back to their initial smaller location to save rent.  They'd be the first to admit that times for mom-and-pop booksellers -- especially niche, as they are -- is awfully tough, especially in the high-tax, high-rent corridors of downtown Seattle, corridors that have seen a precipitious drop in visitors over the last few years in particular, both local and tourist/convention, largely for the reasons I mention above.
Ianisawimp
First Feature Viewer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 01:18:43 PM »

Pretty exciting, Andy -- enjoy exploring your new discovery!

We have a similar store specialized niche store here -- Seattle Mystery Bookshop -- and it's always great fun to browse there.  It's in downtown Seattle, which means dealing with limited, expensive parking, street corner drug use, aggressive and often mentally impaired panhandlers, crime, an exploding homeless population, and all the other liberal elements that have made Gov. Inslee and Mayor Murray's Seattle a sociocultural jumble of progressive madness...which also means I don't get down there much.

Not sure how much longer SMB is going to be able to stay around.  They were initially in a smaller location, then moved about a decade ago to a shop next door to that location that was twice as large...then they began to hit hard times a few years ago, held a crowdfunding campaign about a year ago to stay afloat, then moved back to their initial smaller location to save rent.  They'd be the first to admit that times for mom-and-pop booksellers -- especially niche, as they are -- is awfully tough, especially in the high-tax, high-rent corridors of downtown Seattle, corridors that have seen a precipitious drop in visitors over the last few years in particular, both local and tourist/convention, largely for the reasons I mention above.

LOVE the SMB. I stopped in today and left with a signed copy of Lansdale's Freezer Burn, as well as a used trade of Sunset and Sawdust and Tom Piccirilli's The Cold Spot.

Amateur horror writer/genre junkie. Coffee addict. Neurotic mess.
tyree
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 05:20:40 PM »

Girl I knew you handled estate sales in Prescott Valley told me of one.

I went.

The owner collected old crime 1st edtion PBOs. A passion. Dime for each. Mint condition.

If I told you what I scored and the money I made on ebay you would not believe me.
RonClinton
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 06:55:04 PM »

The owner collected old crime 1st edtion PBOs. A passion. Dime for each. Mint condition.

I think I had a dream like that once or twice.  But, alas, it was only a dream...  Sad
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length