Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register

+  The Horror Drive-In
|-+  Horror Drive-In
| |-+  Drive In Theater By Night (Moderators: among736, RonClinton)
| | |-+  To John Waters Fans
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: To John Waters Fans  (Read 428 times)
MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2017, 11:30:25 AM »

His advice book, Make Trouble, is now on sale, and the hardcover is ridiculously inexpensive. It's only around eight-fifty at both Amazon and B&N. Make Trouble is a short book, but I think it will be a lot of fun. I used a Barnes and Noble coupon and just ordered a copy for around seven bucks.

I really liked some of John's earlier books, especially Carsick. Role Models had its moments. Crackpot was full of great essays, and Shock Value is essential to any fan.
Nicole Cushing
Four Movie Freak

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 10:25:07 PM »

My understanding is that the text of Make Trouble is simply the transcript of a speech he gave at the Rhode Island School of Design. It was reprinted on the website of Time magazine and is available here. http://time.com/3922739/john-waters-graduation-speech-risd/

The video of the speech is available here: https://vimeo.com/129312307

The book places some illustrations next to the text, but if you just want the content those are two solid alternatives to shelling out eight bucks.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 10:58:38 AM by Nicole Cushing » Logged
MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 03:15:25 PM »

It's worth seven bucks to me to get away from the accursed screens for an hour of proper reading.
MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 04:00:06 AM »

It's full of illustrations and there's also a kissable portrait of John (looking like an undertaker) on the back cover. What more could you ask?
Authorfan
Triple Feature

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 02:45:00 PM »

I could watch FEMALE TROUBLE over and over again.  He's my Hitchcock of low-grade cinema.  So reading anything by him is worth the effort and the money spent.

Martin
MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 09:31:21 AM »

Female Trouble is my favorite, too, and I believe John also considers it to be his favorite.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length