Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register

+  The Horror Drive-In
|-+  Horror Drive-In
| |-+  Drive In Theater By Night (Moderators: among736, RonClinton)
| | |-+  Shadow World Newsletter
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Shadow World Newsletter  (Read 503 times)
Jonathan Janz
CHILDREN OF THE DARK
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2017, 04:49:14 PM »

Saw it on FB last night and got myself signed up.  And hey, the first newsletter even made it past the Hotmail junk filter, so I'm golden!   Grin

Andy

Hey, that's fantastic! That has to be a great sign, right?

Jonathan Janz
CHILDREN OF THE DARK
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2017, 04:49:39 PM »

Done!

Thank you so much, Jonathan!  Smiley

Jonathan Janz
CHILDREN OF THE DARK
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2017, 04:55:09 PM »

I read the first one and I enjoyed it. I hope to see more writers going back to this route. As I said above, I am sick to death of social media in general, and Facebook in particular.

I have become convinced that Facebook is detrimental to us as individuals and as a society. Lord only knows how much our privacy is invaded there, and far too many people appear to have lost their dignity, their manners, and their damned minds at FB.

I told a few people that I was quitting Facebook, but Clara and I discussed it, and I decided to stay. There *are* things I enjoy seeing, and I can promote our local events there. Plus, some people have told me that they enjoy my "Reading in the Great Outdoors" updates.

I've unfollowed a ton of people. I accepted them as so-called Friends, but I don't really know them. I don't care what they are having for dinner, or about their political affiliations. I'm not going to buy their books.

To pull this back in to subject, I am enjoying the newsletters of authors like Janz, Keene, F. Paul Wilson, and some others. I think readers are more likely to read something in their inboxes rather than journey to a Blog, and too much stuff gets lost in Facebook.

I totally get you, Mark. I'm still on FB, but so much of what I see turns me off. Yeah, I know I don't have to look at it, but still. It's right there in front of me, and I'm a glutton for...well, you know.

Anyway, I'm really warming to the newsletter format. There's something very intimate and personal about it that you don't have at FB. And I love the voluntary feeling about it. People sign up if they're interested, and that means a lot to me because I absolutely hate to feel like I'm shoving my work down people's throats.

I'm also really comfortable with the once-a-month format of this for me. Brian is able to include great content every time he does it, but if I tried to do it that often, I think I'd end up viewing the newsletter as an obligation rather than a fun way to communicate and engage with readers. And if I viewed it that way, you can bet that readers would too.

Maybe one day I'll have enough to talk about to make a weekly or bi-weekly newsletter work. For now, I'll just pester people once a month.

I'm really digging Brian's newsletter, and now I'll sign up for Paul's. Honestly, I didn't know he had one!

Jonathan Janz
CHILDREN OF THE DARK
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2017, 04:59:32 PM »

Signed up.

@Mark: I quit Facebook years ago. I'm on Google+, but mostly for professional reasons.
For me, Facebook just seemed to amplify the stupidity of friends and family; people that seemed otherwise quite sensible in IRL. I also got sick of game invites, political bullshit, etc. My wife is now our Facebook ambassador, so through her I glean the occasional piece of gossip about our old friends she keeps in touch with.
A lot of the time she seems to be looking at stuff about people we don't have the time of day for, though. Quite frankly, my time is too precious to waste on that.

I've stayed at friends' places and observed moments where they're all on their smart phones, looking at Facebook, rather than engaging with their old friends who drove hours to stay with them. Fuck that shit.

Thank you so much for signing up!

And I feel you on the smartphone thing. I had a buddy who, when cells were just starting to become big, would invite me to BW3s and proceed to text everyone who wasn't there. It drove me nuts, so I stopped coming.

Jonathan Janz
CHILDREN OF THE DARK
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2017, 04:59:54 PM »

I'm in.

I bet a nickel.

Hey, thanks, nj! I appreciate that.  Smiley

Jonathan Janz
CHILDREN OF THE DARK
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2017, 05:00:15 PM »

I'm with ya on this one Mark.  I've actually never been on Facebook.  I was on MySpace and when everyone switched to Facebook, I swore off social media. 

And I'm in a position to benefit from Facebook:  I could promote my bands, and promote my drum lessons.  But to me, the negatives outweigh the positives.  Whatever normal people have in them that allows them ignore ignorance in social media....I just don't have that.  Seeing one dumb post ruins my whole day...every time. 

In any case, I get Brian Keene's newsletters, and love them.  And I will also join Janz's

Jason

Great thoughts, Jason. And thank you!  Smiley

wolfnoma
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2017, 09:07:40 AM »

Okay, because of all the peer pressure I signed up. Jeesh Janz, you need more attention than Brian. HA!  Huh
Authorfan
Second Feature Veteran

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2017, 03:38:13 PM »

Glad to be on board.  Grin

Martin
Jonathan Janz
CHILDREN OF THE DARK
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2017, 11:12:29 AM »

Okay, because of all the peer pressure I signed up. Jeesh Janz, you need more attention than Brian. HA!  Huh

I'm a total attention tractor beam. The more, the better. 

Oh, and thanks for signing up, man!  Smiley

Jonathan Janz
CHILDREN OF THE DARK
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2017, 11:12:47 AM »

Glad to be on board.  Grin

Martin

You're awesome, Martin. Thank you!

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: