Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register

+  The Horror Drive-In
|-+  Horror Drive-In
| |-+  Drive In Theater By Night (Moderators: among736, RonClinton)
| | |-+  Ron's 'European Vacation'...the bibliophile version.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ron's 'European Vacation'...the bibliophile version.  (Read 473 times)
RonClinton
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2017, 07:25:07 PM »

(Post edited to include pics)

So for those who were losing sleep over my lack of presence here over the last few weeks  Wink, I was traveling with my family on a long overseas family vacation.  A few bookish stops might be of interest to some here, so I thought I'd share:

In London, I stopped at Goldsboro Books.  It's an outfit I've ordered from a number of times before (in fact, I have a book (Matt Haig's newest one) presently on order with them)...they do a good number of limited editions for the UK market...as an example, Joe Hill's signed/numbered THE FIREMAN (non-PS Pub ed.) was one.  I went to the famous Charing Cross area the last time I was there, so thought I'd instead check out Goldsboro this time around.  Was neat to see, though I must admit the store was considerably smaller than I'd imagined...'course, I suppose reality rarely matches concept.  Did not buy anything there...the Haig book will have to suffice.

Checking my phone, apparently I didn't take a picture at this location, but this is what it looks like:

I also went in to this nearby bookseller (this Cecil Court alley has a number of booksellers):

In Paris, I visited Shakespeare and Company, the legendary bookstore.  Wall to wall people, but was still thrilling to browse and take it all in...the history, the influence, the sociocultural import.  The upstairs area where the used books were was far less crowded than the first floor with the new titles, but this visit was more about the establishment and less about the inventory, so I made sure to walk all the hallways of both floors.  Picked up Michelle Paver's new one, THIN AIR...a disappointing follow-up to her wonderfully chilling DARK MATTER.

In New York, I went to both The Mysterious Bookshop, the nation's preeminent bookshop of all things mystery and suspense oriented, and The Strand.  The Mysterious Bookshop was fantastic, filled floor to ceiling with titles new and old...finally got to climb one of those book-ladders, the ones on a horizontal rail, in order to check out a few books.  I could have spent half a day in there...my daughters and wife could not, so an hour had to suffice.  Too much to look at to decide and buy wisely in that short timeframe, so defaulted to just picking up a few of their Bibliomystery chapbooks (Lansdale, F. Paul Wilson, and J. C. Oates).

As mentioned, I also in New York went to The Strand, one of the highlights of my trip and a culmination of a desire I've had for as long as I can remember.  Four floors of biblio-Nirvana, second only IMO to Powell's in Portland.  Picked up a signed 1st HC of SHE RIDES SHOTGUN, Jordan Harper, TERMINAL, Brian Keene (the S/L HC for $15!), a signed 1st HC of THE SUICIDE MOTOR CLUB, Christopher Buehlman, and a signed 1st HC of EXIT STRATEGY, Steve Hamilton...all books I've been wanting and am now very pleased to have, and all priced very attractively.  I had twice as many books at one point that I was all set to purchase, but I then remembered I was traveling and had no way to get them all home, as suitcases were already bulging at the seams.  As the picture shows, they were doing some sort of exterior work on the building, apparently.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 09:43:05 PM by RonClinton » Logged
DavidMWilson
Four Movie Freak

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 07:55:17 PM »

Pix or it didn't happen.

Just kidding. That's awesome man. I'm jealous. I'd love to visit all of those shops, but especially Shakespeare and Company. Man. I'll put that down as a goal of mine!
BrianKeene1
Four Movie Freak

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 03:54:59 AM »

Wow! You got to see Shakespeare and Company? That's frigging awesome, dude.
Kyle L.
Cthulhus Lover
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 08:01:41 AM »

Very nice!  Where the heck was I that I didn't see either of those in London when we just went??  I have been to The Strand though, that is definitely one awesome boosktore to go through.

https://kylelybeck.wordpress.com
Nightmare Reality and Perverse Humanity both out now on Amazon!  http://amzn.to/2pW0TML
RonClinton
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 11:58:48 AM »

The neat thing about Paris, too, were the sidewalk bookselling stalls...saw a number of those, and it was heartening to see a culture/society that still values the written word to the extent that so many such sellers can make a living (or supplement it) simply selling (mostly used) books on the side of the road.  Most of the inventory was, not surprisingly, in French, but there was a decent showing of English-language titles.  I don't mean to suggest such sidewalk vendors were everywhere I looked, but I must have seen six or eight in the week or so that we were there and ambling around in Paris...and that's six or eight more than I saw in London or New York...or, for that matter, here in WA State.  Pretty neat.
daverob
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 10:36:09 PM »

Wow! What a great trip. Thanks so much for posting this!
RonClinton
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 06:51:40 AM »

Wow! What a great trip. Thanks so much for posting this!

My pleasure.  While the book stops were definitely a very small part of our multi-week vacation, they were among the highlights of the trip (for me, anyhow...my wife and daughters not so much).
DavidMWilson
Four Movie Freak

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 11:16:41 AM »

Ron, these are great pictures!
RonClinton
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 09:47:20 AM »

Ron, these are great pictures!

I checked my pictures because I thought I had taken one of a sidewalk book seller just outside Notre Dame cathedral, with it in the background (though just one side, as the sidewalk sellers were on the road across a narrow river that split the cathedral from the road), but I'll be damned now if I can find it.  A shame...that was a neat image.
DavidMWilson
Four Movie Freak

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 09:05:13 PM »

You should have tried to go up into the cathedral and read. See if they catch you reading something like the Exorcist up there. lol.
RonClinton
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 10:58:25 AM »

Blasphemy!

Oh, and I also saw while in New York in open top tour buses and jetting around in Uber the headquarters of Scholastic, Simon & Schuster, and several other major publishing firms.  My wife and daughters who don't have the Book Nerd gene were wholly unimpressed, but I thought those were very cool to see -- real, tangible connections to today's publishing industry and the legacy of its incredible history.  
DavidMWilson
Four Movie Freak

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 06:00:52 PM »

Man, who'd guess that the book-nerd gene was not passed on. I'd jump on an opportunity to see those things. Oh well, at least you have us to share the stories with. I wonder what books they have locked way up there, worth who knows how much money.
JasonUK
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 04:00:14 AM »

The neat thing about Paris, too, were the sidewalk bookselling stalls...saw a number of those, and it was heartening to see a culture/society that still values the written word to the extent that so many such sellers can make a living (or supplement it) simply selling (mostly used) books on the side of the road.  Most of the inventory was, not surprisingly, in French, but there was a decent showing of English-language titles.  I don't mean to suggest such sidewalk vendors were everywhere I looked, but I must have seen six or eight in the week or so that we were there and ambling around in Paris...and that's six or eight more than I saw in London or New York...or, for that matter, here in WA State.  Pretty neat.

Sorry it's too late for your trip Ron, but there's an excellent second-hand book market in London on the south bank of the Thames under Waterloo Bridge open very day. Maybe next time!

Southbank Book Market
RonClinton
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 03:29:06 PM »

Sorry it's too late for your trip Ron, but there's an excellent second-hand book market in London on the south bank of the Thames under Waterloo Bridge open very day. Maybe next time!

Southbank Book Market

Well, crap, I would have *loved* to have seen that.  Thanks for the tip, though...I'll add that to my Must See list the next time we're there.  Also missed the Ace Cafe, with its rich motorcycle history/legacy, and a few other things I really wish we'd had time to see, so there will definitely *be* a 'next time.'  Smiley
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length