Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register

+  The Horror Drive-In
|-+  Horror Drive-In
| |-+  Drive In Theater By Night (Moderators: among736, RonClinton)
| | |-+  Has anyone seen WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES yet?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Has anyone seen WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES yet?  (Read 208 times)
dannyboy121070
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 15, 2017, 04:42:32 PM »

We had high hopes for this film (We're all big fans of this new series), but it was just a flat, boring dud. I posted a review on my blog, if anyone is interested. I'm curious to hear the thoughts of other APES fans. Hunter....? You out there?

TheShrike
Triple Feature

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 07:35:44 PM »

I caught it on Friday afternoon and thought it was great. I wish it wasn't the last in the series but I haven't heard anything else so I'm assuming this was it?

The acting, special effects (of course) and, for the most part, the story were all well done in my opinion.

I would rate it 4 out of 5 stars.

Greg
Shocklines.com
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 07:40:06 PM »

I was a big fan. I give it a B+, same as a I gave the last installment. A really solid smart affecting end to the series.
BrianKeene1
Triple Feature

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 06:51:11 AM »

I caught it on Friday afternoon and thought it was great. I wish it wasn't the last in the series but I haven't heard anything else so I'm assuming this was it?

They've said the studio is up for 4 and 5. Not sure about the creative teams, though.

As for WAR, I gave it a B+, same as Matt. But I'm an Apes junkie and even adore BATTLE (from the old franchise).
dannyboy121070
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 07:18:30 AM »

If this makes money, I'm sure there will be more Apes in our future.

I'm an Apes-junkie, too, and this was the first film that I just did not click with. Sad

goathunter
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 07:25:55 AM »

I saw it on Friday, and I loved it. Easily the best in the series, which is saying something, since Dawn was so good.

It did get off to a slow start, but I liked that. I liked how Matt Reeves used silence and slow-moving shots to depict a world mostly without humans.

Bad Ape was great (added some much-needed levity without ever crossing over into stupid or out-of-place, IMO), Nova was great, the story was great, the special effects were simply amazing.

Dan, did you watch all the trailers, etc?  I watched the first one, then made a point of not watching or reading anything else about the film until I saw it. I'm very glad I did, as I went into it almost completely cold. I have heard that the later trailers spoiled a lot of the story, and I know the NPR review of it on Friday did (I turned it off as soon I realized they were going to).  I wonder if knowing too much about it may have affected your enjoyment?

Hunter
goathunter
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 07:37:20 AM »

I just read your review, Dan. It sounds like expectations had a whole lot to do with your lack of enjoyment. Despite the title, I did not expect to see an all-out war between the apes and the humans. That would have been an incredibly dull film, IMO. Dawn had more than enough of that, IMO, and while I enjoyed it a lot (I rewatched it yesterday), it would have been boring to see two more hours of that.

I liked Nova and found her to be more than just a nod to the original films.

I thought the allegory you refer to be interesting: given the production time for the film, I would think that had to be part of the story long before our current political situation came to bear.

Sorry you didn't enjoy it as much as I did.

RE: Guardians of the Galaxy, I really didn't care for the first film, but enjoyed the heck out of the second one. Kurt Russell was a lot of that, but not all.

Hunter
RonClinton
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 08:02:46 AM »

As much of a huge fan as I am of the original series (hell, I even liked the TV series and the magazines and the models and the etc etc), I just cannot warm up to these new CGI releases.  I'm glad the Apes mythos is reaching a new generation and finding new popularity, but for me there's just something about the slick CGI production that diminishes the story for me.  Even as finely done as I'm sure they are (I've only seen one), there's something lacking in them -- some charm, some reality -- that the incredible makeup work of the original series offered.  I know they need to be judged on their own merit, but I guess I just have too much nostalgic affection for the original series to be objective enough to do so (which admittedly is my failing, not the franchise's).
dannyboy121070
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 09:33:31 AM »

Oddly enough, Hunter, I hadn't seen much at all in the way of advertising or trailers for this film, so I did go in pretty much cold. Basically all I knew was the title, that it was supposed to be the last of the series (Wink, wink!), and that Woody Harrelson was in it.

That said, I was expecting to see a war, the subjugation of humanity, and the beginning of the primate caste system, with the gorillas taking control of the ape society by organizing a crude military force. The actual film just seemed like a bunch of wheel-spinning to me. Things were the same at the end as they were in the beginning. I'll try to give it another chance when it hits cable, since I seem to be in the minority.

goathunter
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 08:08:50 PM »

Even as finely done as I'm sure they are (I've only seen one), there's something lacking in them -- some charm, some reality -- that the incredible makeup work of the original series offered.  I know they need to be judged on their own merit, but I guess I just have too much nostalgic affection for the original series to be objective enough to do so (which admittedly is my failing, not the franchise's).

I feel the same way. As incredible as the effects are, I still much prefer the prosthetic makeups of the original series. These new films were never replace my affection for the original everything (there's a reason I run my Apes archive!).

However, I do find the new films to be excellent examples of modern filmmaking---easily, IMO, the best of the current glut of CGI blockbusters. Of all such films, these seem to me to be the most effective with the special effects. They shoot for realism, and they achieve it 90% of the time because it's mostly motion-capture performances by humans. It's not keyframe animation like so many characters are done (Hulk, I'm looking at you---and yes, I know there was some mo-cap done by Ruffalo). The apes and other CGI animals properly observe the laws of physics, something that gets thrown out the window in so many CGI-heavy films.

The stories have been excellent, but they don't have the scope or the social commentary of the original films. Some, yes, but not the same scope.

So while I really like these new films, I still prefer the originals, and I always will.

And even if someone hates the new films, at least they aren't that Tim Burton travesty.

Hunter
goathunter
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 08:11:39 PM »

That said, I was expecting to see a war, the subjugation of humanity, and the beginning of the primate caste system, with the gorillas taking control of the ape society by organizing a crude military force. The actual film just seemed like a bunch of wheel-spinning to me. Things were the same at the end as they were in the beginning. I'll try to give it another chance when it hits cable, since I seem to be in the minority.

Yes, I can see why you'd be so disappointed if that's what you were expecting to see. I wasn't expecting to see that, I guess because I knew that it took place just a few years after Dawn, which only took place ten years after Rise.

That's why I'm hoping that a fourth film, if it happens, is set far into the future---time to allow for evolution to happen.

Hunter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length