Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register

+  The Horror Drive-In
|-+  Horror Drive-In
| |-+  Drive In Theater By Night (Moderators: among736, RonClinton)
| | |-+  RIP George Romero
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: RIP George Romero  (Read 208 times)
funland33
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« on: July 16, 2017, 02:48:34 PM »

Sad, sad news. My heart goes out to his family and friends. The horror genre wouldn't be what it is today without Night of the Living Dead.  Legend.

- Danny
MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 02:55:14 PM »

Knightriders is my favorite, but Creepshow, Martin, the Dead Trilogy...masterpieces.
funland33
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 03:06:18 PM »

I never knew he was poorly, I'm in shock. I agree with you on the above mentioned movies, masterpieces is the right word for them.
Argendeli
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 04:06:41 PM »

Very sad.  I recall seeing the original Dawn of the Dead when it first came out.  Just amazing.  I went home after the movie and made a ham sandwich.  A piece of ham fell on the floor ans as I went to retrieve it, images of the film popped into my mind's eye.  I threw the whole sandwich out.

He left a fantastic film legacy

Jim
Authorfan
Second Feature Veteran

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 09:01:53 AM »

Indeed, so sad.  He was my first in this horror-field world, long before the '80s boom.  NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD scared the crap out of me when I caught it on TV one rainy afternoon.  I have never been the same since, thankfully.  He will be greatly missed.

Martin
dannyboy121070
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 09:40:25 AM »

Sad news. It seems like he had been briefly battling a very aggressive form of lung cancer. (Watch out, John Carpenter!! I never see him without a cigarette in hand......)

My mom let me stay up and watch an uncensored showing of NOTLD on channel 13 back in The Bronx when i was maybe....7? 8? It was a great feeling to stay up until 1 on a saturday night with my mom, watching something that felt forbidden. A good time. One of many, many good times I had watching his films. DAY OF THE DEAD and CREEPSHOW will always be my favorites.

Mark, I've never seen KNIGHTRIDERS. I have got to remedy that.

DavidMWilson
Four Movie Freak

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 11:20:55 AM »

Creepshow will always be a classic in my book. Sad to see him go. I will give Knightriders a go as well.
njhorror
Love Bomb
Dead By Dawn

Dark Shadow

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 11:21:43 AM »

I heard that he was listening to the soundtrack of The Quiet Man, his favorite movie, when he died.

Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses?
The Doctor
Triple Feature

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 02:16:05 PM »

Terrible news  Cry
RIP George

I recommend... amputation!
MarkSieber
Administrator
Dead By Dawn

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 02:56:20 PM »

I've taken it very hard. Losing people like George or Wes Craven hurts. More so, believe it or not, than members of my own family. Except for my brother, Rick.
Nicole Cushing
Four Movie Freak

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 06:12:23 AM »

Tales from the Darkside, NOTLD, Martin, Creepshow....so MUCH great horror.

Hell, I even really dig Knightriders (which I see as a parable about the indie spirit ultimately overcoming the temptations offered by entertainment conglomerates).

A lot of stuff has been said about how Romero reinvented the cinematic zombie. But I think far more important than that is the fact that he wasn't afraid to stick to his guns and flip the bird to corporate entertainment bigwigs. Romero, at his best, embodied everything noble about independent film. He had balls. There just don't make many like him these days.

But as King Billy Davis says in Knightriders (during the campfire scene), when you die your ideals live on. They don't die with you.  Let's all remember that in the days and years ahead and carry the spirit of Romero's middle finger in hearts.  Smiley 
Authorfan
Second Feature Veteran

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 07:10:48 PM »

I've taken it very hard. Losing people like George or Wes Craven hurts. More so, believe it or not, than members of my own family. Except for my brother, Rick.

I get it, Mark.  Sort of the same in my court.

Martin
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length