Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register

+  The Horror Drive-In
|-+  Horror Drive-In
| |-+  Drive In Theater By Night (Moderator: among736)
| | |-+  Changing Names: a curious question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Changing Names: a curious question  (Read 1372 times)
RonMalfi
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 04, 2009, 09:54:35 AM »

So after some discussion with the folks at Leisure Books, it was recommended that I drop my middle name for all future titles with them, from "Ronald Damien Malfi" to "Ronald Malfi."  I don't have much heartburn over this--it is, after all, still my name--but it got me wondering how many other authors had published under a variation of their real name, only to alter it throughout their career.  I'm not talking about pseudonyms, but more like how Dean R. Koontz eventually dropped the "R," and examples like that.  Michael Marshall Smith/Michael Marshall is one author who comes immediately to mind.  I'm curious if any of you guys know other examples of this?

Thanks!
Ronald (Damien?) Malfi

HOKE1958
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 09:56:56 AM »

I would've went with Damien Malfi. Nothing wrong with Ronald,  but Damien Malfi just sounds so...bad ass... Azn
RonMalfi
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 10:07:27 AM »

It does sound creepy as hell, doesn't it?  That's a thought...

Antmusic
Dead By Dawn

Horror Enthusiast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 10:14:53 AM »

I've seen similar things with other authors too.... Like Bernard Wiseman (children's author) who also publishes as B. Wiseman (for some reason).

I always thought that they put in middle names and middle initials to stop confusion with common names or other authors with the same name...  but then there is Marjorie Weinman Sharmat.  How common of a name is Marjorie Sharmat that they had to add her middle name and make it so hard to spell for kids who like her works!  She did drop her middle name for some of her romantic teen fiction.
StevenSavile
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 10:45:47 AM »

Not that it really counts but I went from Steve to Steven about 6 years back when I made the break from the small press and hit the first mass markets. I joked at the time that I was only proud of the work with the n on the end so it made it easier for people to find the good stuff, but that's a little unfair on Houdini's Last Illusion which is still a cracking little novella. In the main though I did make the shift because of standard... the old stuff under Steve just wasn't as technically accomplished.

I intend fully to start working under another name in the next couple of years as I shift genres as well, just because it is already confusing as hell to people that I do stuff like Stargate and Primeval as well as Silver and the follow-up... throwing in another genre is just asking for trouble .)

Oh and Damien Malfi is just so much better on the cover than Ron, I agree.
Ronald Kelly
Four Movie Freak

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 11:33:56 AM »

I would've went with Damien Malfi. Nothing wrong with Ronald,  but Damien Malfi just sounds so...bad ass... Azn

Hey, Ronald can be a bad ass name, too... if you can get the image of that clown in the yellow jumpsuit and floppy red shoes out of your head.
RonMalfi
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 11:48:54 AM »

Hey, Ronald can be a bad ass name, too... if you can get the image of that clown in the yellow jumpsuit and floppy red shoes out of your head.

Nothing scarier than that...

HOKE1958
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 12:01:04 PM »

BAD RONALD ! Roll Eyes Wasn't that a spiffy little Made-for-TV yarn ? Some kid living in a house unnoticed ?
tom piccirilli
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 12:03:46 PM »

Ed Gorman has also published as Edward Gorman and E.J. Gorman.

Kurt Vonnegut Jr. dropped the "Jr." after his father died.

dwenglish
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 12:32:32 PM »

I read Martin Smith had mediocre sales until he began publishing as Martin Cruz Smith.  Maybe "Cruz" suggested something exciting that the plain "Martin Smith" didn't.

I like Damien Malfi.  A guy with a name like that probably kicks ass five dozen ways before 8 a.m., flies a private jet, and gets more women than a Hollywood movie star.

Darrin 
tom piccirilli
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 12:37:59 PM »

Ross MacDonald (Kenneth Millar) started off as John MacDonald.  When John D. MacDonald broke on the scene he went to John Ross MacDonald and eventually landed on Ross MacDonald.
RonMalfi
Dead By Dawn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 12:39:02 PM »

I like Damien Malfi.  A guy with a name like that probably kicks ass five dozen ways before 8 a.m., flies a private jet, and gets more women than a Hollywood movie star.

Darrin 

You're 100% correct.

JDAR
Dead By Dawn

Jan a/k/a "dancing with 2leftfeet"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 12:42:39 PM »

Richard Laymon
Richard Kelly
Carl Laymon
Carla Laymon

Undecided

Not enough books - just too little time.
among736
Dead By Dawn

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 12:53:36 PM »

J. Newman vs. James Newman.

Andy
Ronald Kelly
Four Movie Freak

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 02:16:16 PM »

BAD RONALD ! Roll Eyes Wasn't that a spiffy little Made-for-TV yarn ? Some kid living in a house unnoticed ?

BAD RONALD... dang, you wouldn't believe the grief I got from the kids at school the day after that movie played!

Honestly, Damien Malfi would be a very cool name to use. It definitely conjures some dark images. I insisted on using my real (Ronald) name, mainly because I wanted my high school creative writing teacher (who said I would NEVER make it as a writer without college) to know exactly who it was on all those Zebra books.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length